Bullying and pecking - need help and advice - I'm desperate

Of course this may seem like an obvious reply, but in our situation we've found that the more space there is the less bullying happens. I would guess that's because there's room enough for everyone to have their own space. You said in your case space is an issue so like others have said, removing the bullies will solve the problem. Try letting them back together a week or two later and you may find that the bully is no longer the flock leader. Chickens work things out themselves on who's the boss. I've seen the biggest toughest brahma rooster cower to a loudmouth when introduced to one another. They'll usually "explain" who's the boss to each other in chicken language and after a day or two everyone's living together just fine.

Separation depends on how severe the injury is. Obviously an open would that other birds are picking at would be a time where you'd want them completely physically separated. However I always keep separated birds in full line of sight of the flock (the exception would be contagious diseases, however if the bird was already in the flock, it's very likely that the disease has already been spread through the group).

I had one bird in isolation for 6 weeks. Her isolation cage was in the center of the run. Adding her back to the flock was as simple as opening the door and letting her out. It may not always go that smoothly, but chances of success are much higher when the flock still recognized her from having seen and heard her during that entire stretch of time.

Yeah I only figured it out by watching how much picking went on an hour after application, 3 hours after, 6 hours after, etc. If the picking is pretty bad, applying twice a day might be necessary to get results at all, but it's really not a good long term solution.

Adding birds back in is generally the same as adding new birds - abouty 1-2 weeks in a separate see-but-no-touch enclosure in full sight of the others, then optimally some supervised time together in a large enough space (like your run) with plenty of clutter to help distract and to provide hiding spots. There's different nuances with adding small chicks to adults, or a rooster to all hens, or younger pullets to older ones, for example, but the above is a general fits-most-situations type approach.
Thank you so much for all the information you've given me. I can see now where I made mistakes and I can learn and move forward with a LOT more knowledge.

I think someone on here said that with chickens there's definitely a learning curve. I totally agree with that statement. I'll be adding more clutter to my run so that all the chickens can stay entertained and have hiding spots from each other. I'll try applying the no-pick lotion a little more often. I also have some pinless peepers ordered so I'll have those as a backup.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with this noobie :)

Of course this may seem like an obvious reply, but in our situation we've found that the more space there is the less bullying happens. I would guess that's because there's room enough for everyone to have their own space. You said in your case space is an issue so like others have said, removing the bullies will solve the problem. Try letting them back together a week or two later and you may find that the bully is no longer the flock leader. Chickens work things out themselves on who's the boss. I've seen the biggest toughest brahma rooster cower to a loudmouth when introduced to one another. They'll usually "explain" who's the boss to each other in chicken language and after a day or two everyone's living together just fine.
A lack of space was the original problem. Now that the new coop/run is finished, our 6 chickens do have about 21 square feet of run space and 6 square feet of coop space each.

Reading everyone's comments, to me it's obvious that I probably handled the situation incorrectly, hindsight and all. Currently, my brain is swirling with solutions that may work so I guess it's just a matter of figuring out which one works the best.

I can't express how much I appreciate all the help and advice that people have given me. I'm very glad that I found this community. Wish now that I'd found it a little sooner.

Thank you so much for all the information you've given me. I can see now where I made mistakes and I can learn and move forward with a LOT more knowledge.

I think someone on here said that with chickens there's definitely a learning curve. I totally agree with that statement. I'll be adding more clutter to my run so that all the chickens can stay entertained and have hiding spots from each other. I'll try applying the no-pick lotion a little more often. I also have some pinless peepers ordered so I'll have those as a backup.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with this noobie :)
Put the pinless peepers in warm water to loosen them up before you put them on. Have someone help you

Back
Top Bottom