Bullying in the flock

Savager

Chirping
Nov 14, 2018
33DE14E3-C45F-4616-93EA-923B95C3050D.jpeg
433C650D-C35B-4343-9FC7-B90399E4D409.jpeg
Today I've noticed one of hens has a pretty significant bald spot on the back and a little bit on the front of her neck. My first thought is the other hens are bullying her. She has been through this before, she has been my only hen to go broody and all the other girls would get mad at her until she snapped out of it. It seemed like it went away but now it seems like it's back again, though I haven't actually seen any of them do it. If anyone has any ideas how to stop it or if it could be anything else that would be appreciated.

It looks more like molting, I still see pin feathers so I'm sure it is. Are you noticing any feather picking or cannibalism occurring at all? Molting is known to cause a deficiency in protein and feathers are made of keratin which is a protein. Therefore, the habit of bullying will generally increase in your flock. What area or part of the world are you located in?

It looks more like molting, I still see pin feathers so I'm sure it is. Are you noticing any feather picking or cannibalism occurring at all? Molting is known to cause a deficiency in protein and feathers are made of keratin which is a protein. Therefore, the habit of bullying will generally increase in your flock. What area or part of the world are you located in?
I'm in new Jersey. So you think she's losing feathers herself from molting or the others are plucking them for protein?

I'm in new Jersey. So you think she's losing feathers herself from molting or the others are plucking them for protein?
I just believe she is molting, but if you are experiencing any aggressive behavior in your flock, that is probably the reason why. To prevent feather picking try to raise the protein levels in their feed and it should make a difference.

I just believe she is molting, but if you are experiencing any aggressive behavior in your flock, that is probably the reason why. To prevent feather picking try to raise the protein levels in their feed and it should make a difference.
Ok thanks I will keep an eye on them, you are probably right because I haven't seen any aggression.

I'd say about 7-8 months
That's young for a molt...but some that age will do a partial molt their first fall/winter.
If she was getting picked, her neck with those pin/blood feathers would be a bloody mess.
I don't think you have anything to worry about....
...unless, as mentioned above, you are seeing aggressive behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom