Bullying problem, please help!

wseachicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I posted last week about a possible broody/sick hen, which I determined that all the behaviors I was seeing was most likely due to aggressive bullying from the top hen. My BO (bottom hen) eats, drinks, and has normal energy levels when free-ranging with me around to protect her. Once she's in the coop/run with the rest of the girls she rubs to the roost. Every time she makes an attemp it come down into the run when the top hen is around, she gets mauled by the top hen. It's so sad! So all day, she can't eat or drink. She's still laying, as far as I can tell.

We built a separate chicken tractor of sorts to put the top hen in for a while to try to help break her of this behavior and let the other three establish a new pecking order. Although, today I saw the same behavior only now it's the top hen's sister who also did some picking on the bottom hen, just not as bad. So here's my question, do I separate both Wyandottes away from the BOs and then introduce them back to the BOs separately? Or will separating during the day to give them more space be enough to break the super aggressive behavior? And tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

chooks4life

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Australia
I wouldn't separate them together, you want to totally break the pattern of hierarchy-reinforced bullying. If worst comes to worst you may need to remove the bullies but definitely you can try separating the one who bullies.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom