1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bullying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PhoenixPharm, Jun 5, 2016.

1. PhoenixPharm

PhoenixPharm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    I have 2 muscovy that are about 15 weeks old (HUGE) a 2 year old runner and 14 week old runner/pekin mix. Recently I noticed that the runner stopped quacking and seems depressed. She still eats/drinks/forages but instead of acting like her normal bubbly self, ignores me when I talk to her and now follows the runner/pekin around (her daughter) I've seen both my male and female muscovy biting her back and her feathers look ruffled. There is quite a bit of size difference between them and I'm thinking she is being bullied to the point of depression. She used to quack all the time and was excited when I came in the pen and now seems so sad and passive. I thought maybe she was sick at first....any thoughts??

2. klemele

klemele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    How long ago did you put them in with the muscovies??

3. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    A month or so ago. I just separated them and wihtin a few hours the runner is already starting to bob her head and quack at me again a little :D

4. klemele

klemele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Okay, i was going to say that they were putting in the pecking order. But maybe something else is up, how many females are there to males?

5. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    3 females and one male. The female muscovy picks at her more than the male

6. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    I just noticed her feathers are wet and looked at her back and there is a sore where they have been biting her.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by