BULLYING

BLACKCATFARM

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
HI,
I HAVE A MAMA CHICKEN WITH 3 BABIES. ALL OF THE OTHER CHICKENS HAVE ACCEPTED AND ARE COMFORTABLE WITH MAMA AND CHICKS. THERE IS JUST ONE HEN THAT IS QUITE AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS MAMA AS WELL AS THE CHICKS. SHE WILL CHARGE AT THEM, AS WELL AS PECK AT THEM. SHE HAS MADE MAMA'S COMB BLEED A LITTLE BIT (NOTHING TOO MAJOR). THE CHICKS HAVE NOT BEEN HURT. WILL THIS BEHAVIOR PLAY ITSELF OUT OR SHOUL WE HARVEST THE OFFENDING HEN? THANKS TO ANYONE THAT HAS THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCE WITH THIS!

I would put the "aggressor" in a wire cage with food & water, put the cage in the coop. Like a time out, he's still part of the flock but unable to hurt Mama & chicks. I haven't had the problem cause I'm limited to how many chickens (4-6) I can have, and not wanting integrating issues, I change out my girls about every year or two.

HI,
I HAVE A MAMA CHICKEN WITH 3 BABIES. ALL OF THE OTHER CHICKENS HAVE ACCEPTED AND ARE COMFORTABLE WITH MAMA AND CHICKS. THERE IS JUST ONE HEN THAT IS QUITE AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS MAMA AS WELL AS THE CHICKS. SHE WILL CHARGE AT THEM, AS WELL AS PECK AT THEM. SHE HAS MADE MAMA'S COMB BLEED A LITTLE BIT (NOTHING TOO MAJOR). THE CHICKS HAVE NOT BEEN HURT. WILL THIS BEHAVIOR PLAY ITSELF OUT OR SHOUL WE HARVEST THE OFFENDING HEN? THANKS TO ANYONE THAT HAS THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCE WITH THIS!
How old are chicks and how long have they been with the flock?
Mama needs to reestablish her place in the pecking order, should be accomplished with a a week or so.
Was the bully bird aggressive before the chicks hatched?
Is the bully bird low on the pecking order?
Those are often the most aggressive when new birds are introduced.
If the bully bird is really a problem, soup might be the answer.

Some of these integration tips may help you reduce the problem.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

HI! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE! THE CHICKS ARE NOW 6 WEEKS OLD. THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE COOP AND RUN SINCE THE BEGINNING. YES, I DO BELIEVE THE BULLY BIRD IS LOW ON THE PECKING ORDER. I NOTICED THIS EVENING WHEN I LET THEM OUT TO FREE RANGE, THAT SHE SEEMS MORE AFTER THE MAMA BIRD THAN THE CHICKS. I'M GOING TO ADD A SECOND FEEDER TOMORROW MORNING, THERE'S ALREADY 2 WATERERS. TONIGHT SEEMED A LITTLE MORE MELLOW, BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS FROM ANYONE IS MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom