Bullying

Thanks! Yes, spats were usual but quickly resolved lol this is something else entirely. She’s been separate for almost 3 days and 2 nights and I’m going to reintroduce her tomorrow. We shall see how it goes. It’s interesting because she doesn’t seem to want to move up in the pecking order eg, doesn’t try to get in the coop ahead of anyone at night or eat first etc. it’s a mystery but maybe vitamins, might be worth a try, even though they get a good chicken feed.
All I've ever raised was silkies and they're prone to vitamin deficiencies and ailments like wry neck, etc., so anytime they lose an extra feather I'm thinking they need extra vitamins lol. Sometimes it can help by giving them a little boost. Not saying it will here but you just never know and worth a shot.

What do you use for vitamins?
For the grown chickens, I mix Rooster Booster Poultry Booster in their feed. On occasion, I'll give them Poultry Cell in their water for a day.

For new chicks, I use Nutra Drench in their water every third day, alternating with fresh water and probiotics.

This is the most recent thread that came up when I typed in bully hen. I have a hen who has decided to pull out other hens back feathers and bottom feathers. She even tries to pull out the rooster's bottom feathers. The hens have a large amount of space with multiple feeders and waterers. Today we added panels to give the hens fresh green grass. The bully hen was still more interested in plucking and eating feathers. I penned her up for the time being. I thought the grass would interest her enough to leave the others alone. I have blue kote on my hens who are being pecked, but it doesn't deter the bully hen.

This is the most recent thread that came up when I typed in bully hen. I have a hen who has decided to pull out other hens back feathers and bottom feathers. She even tries to pull out the rooster's bottom feathers. The hens have a large amount of space with multiple feeders and waterers. Today we added panels to give the hens fresh green grass. The bully hen was still more interested in plucking and eating feathers. I penned her up for the time being. I thought the grass would interest her enough to leave the others alone. I have blue kote on my hens who are being pecked, but it doesn't deter the bully hen.
She sounds like a candidate for Pin Less Peepers - do an on site search. They can stop the practice and sometimes break this bad habit.

You could try up the protein by occasionally giving some scrambled eggs or an all flock type feed. We switched feed to all-flock mixed with layer, and a side dish of oyster shell. Feather eating can indicate a lack of protein.

That didn't fix our bully hen though, so when she started going out of her way to chase down the young ones, I had it. She and I took a trip in the woods.

Yeah, I'm worried about the bully hen. She is beautiful, and I don't want to part ways with her. I feed nutrena layer feed and scratch with sunflower seeds daily. I supplement with alfalfa during the winter. They do love scrambled eggs so I will add some in this week. Raising chickens seems so idyllic, and it is until you start encountering all the struggles that come with it. :/

Thanks so much. She’s been separated since Friday morning and will probably let her out tomorrow afternoon to free range with the rest, see how it goes.
I have 3 eastereggs that are 22 weeks. Two are laying eggs and the third is not yet. The third is the last on pecking order and she started fighting with #2 this morning. I took #3 last on pecking order out and placed in a pen near the coop and the cage we have. Why would the smallest one be picking on the bigger ones? What can I give her to stop it?

Back
Top Bottom