Bullying?

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, I would appreciate some advice.
I am a newish chicken parent having hatched my 3 chickens in December. They’re now 6 months old and have just started laying about 3wks ago.
I have a disabled hen who has always been accepted by the other two, as they hatched together. She has a bad leg and has periods where she is stressed because of it but she is otherwise healthy and lays healthy eggs regularly.
I got home today from work, my husband and son have been hanging out with them and doing some gardening and for the first time ever the able bodied two have apparently turned on the disabled one. She had blood on her head, I’m not sure if she got it from them pecking her or if they were pecking her because she had blood on her head from an injury (they have been pruning a rose bush and I wonder whether she scratched herself on it).
I’m terrified this is the end of 6 months of harmony. It has been stressful having a chicken with a bad leg for obvious reason (please no judgement in comments, I’m stressed enough already) but I’ve always been grateful that the other two haven’t seemed to care about her disability.
Do you think this could be an isolated incident? Or now it’s started will they carry on bullying her?! It was really unpleasant, to the point my husband had to bring her in the house. I have heard they get frenzied at the sight of blood, if I clean up her wounds will they accept her again?! 😢
Advice, please xx

If she had hurt herself and the others were attracted by the blood, that's pretty normal for chickens, though distressing. Depending on how bad the injury is she might be ok going right back out (though I'd keep an eye on their behavior as a group) or if she needs treatment, you might want to look into using something like Blu-Kote to help obscure the bloody area.

If she has to be isolated while healing, best to keep her out in sight of the other two so you won't have issues reintegrating. A dog crate or sectioned off part of the coop or run would be suitable.

Back
Top Bottom