Bullys at the feeding dish

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
I leave a large feeder available to my chickens at all times. When I am outside with them or when I bring them treats my "big girls" dont let my little girls (banties) have any. My banties seem fat enough and they are laying but IM concerned that they may not be getting enough food. Anyone else experience this ?

It happens. That's why I strongly believe in having two feeders available to them, even if the second feeder is a small makeshift device. The bullies can't keep them away from both feeders at the same time successfully.

Thats what I would do too. Make it impossible for them to hog everything. Though they will probably run back and forth and TRY, the banties will still get some treats too.

you can also put a visual block between the two feeders so the bullies don't know they have to defend the other feeder, because they can't see the other birds pecking their food that triggers their defensive mode. Anything will do, a cardboard box, a towel hung over a wire, anything.

anks I think I will put another feeder in and make a partition with a piece of plywood. Ill let you know how they do. I just love all the help and enjoy so many people who are willing to help with even the little things

Back
Top Bottom