BUMBLE CHEST?? (**PICS ADDED** NASTINESS FACTOR WARNING**)

I pulled some of the brown scap edge off yesterday and it did bleed. It truly in person doesn't look necrotic. The brown edge is very much a "scab" material and very thin. Underneath is pink healthy tissue. In person it looks better than the pics make it look. The tissue underneath is not infected looking at all (you can see into her, the muscle looks fine etc). No bad odors.

The only sign of infection was the pus that first drained, and a tiny bit the next day.

In german we call it a breast "bubble/blister" , its a common thing for meat birds(both turkeys and chickens) since they spend way too much time sitting around so they develope a sore that collects fluid and eventually deforms the chest muscles(i think it slowly degrades them where its in contact) and bone if not caught early on. It can get big enough to encompass the whole chest of the bird. All I know is that birds that suffer from this are not fit for consumption.
Its a form of Staph infection I believe if I am translating my book correctly.

I pulled some of the brown scap edge off yesterday and it did bleed. It truly in person doesn't look necrotic. The brown edge is very much a "scab" material and very thin. Underneath is pink healthy tissue. In person it looks better than the pics make it look. The tissue underneath is not infected looking at all (you can see into her, the muscle looks fine etc). No bad odors.

The only sign of infection was the pus that first drained, and a tiny bit the next day.

Well, that's good news! Sounds like you caught it early.

The info the next poster gave is interesting, and totally makes sense. I don't know how you can keep if from recurring, but hopefully you can! Staph infections can get nasty. Luckily, no matter what, you are giving her a good home right now!

She really is just the sweetest thing (but dumb as the day is long...poor girl can't find her way in/out the coop door day after day).

just wanted to update...

my boys said Big Mama was growling and doign weird things with her legs, so I went to check her again. She seems fine, her wound has more scab material but is still open and underneath remains pink with no signs of infection. Hoping she continues to heal. The skina orund the hole is very thick, and I assume will be quite the mass of scar tissue.

Back
Top Bottom