Bumble Foot? Changing ground cover in run?

MerryFeather

Chirping
May 10, 2021
I have a couple ducks that I think I found bumble foot on this morning. We are new to duck keeping so I'm not sure.

Since it is more than one of my ducks I am assuming that it is something wrong with their relatively new run and pool. We have been trying to research ground covering for the run. What is a good ground cover for the run that makes bumble foot less likely? Could it be the pavers around their pool? What is an alternative to pavers that they can enjoy with their pool? That is their favorite spot. They do spend time outside of their run every day on grass when I can supervise. But grass won't grow in the covered run. It is shaded on part and has an open section with hardware cloth on top for part too.

I am including pictures of the run and one of the ducks feet. Should I soak in epsom salts? I can wrap their feet but I can't keep them out of the pool unless I separate them from the flock and keep them pinned up.

Thanks advance for your help.

Attachments

• Bumble - 1 (1).jpeg
    Bumble - 1 (1).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • Bumble - 1 (2).jpeg
    Bumble - 1 (2).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Bumble - 1.jpeg
    Bumble - 1.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm sorry your ducks are having problems with their feet. The foot photo looks like bumblefoot to me.

Years ago my own ducks were repeatedly getting bumblefoot. I took them to the vet for treatment. They would get better, and a few weeks later have sores returning. It was my two heaviest ducks in particular. This went on for a year before I asked my vet why. We reviewed my ducks' environment and my vet told me to remove all wood shavings, patio stones, rocks, gravel, boards, ect. She told me to only allow my ducks to walk/stand/sleep on uncompacted dirt or grass outside and 4-6 inches straw, hay, or thick layers of towels inside. I thought my vet was nuts. The wood shavings I was using were really fluffy seeming, and I tried to explain that, but she told me that to small duck feet it was like standing on a board all night. I still didn't think it was going to work, but I changed my system just in case. I built them an entirely new aviary three times as big with wire on top to let sunlight in so I could grow grass as substrate. My vet was right. My ducks haven't had one bumble since.

This might not be the case with your ducks, but it worked for mine. The straw/hay is harder to deal with than shavings and needs to be cleaned more frequently.

I'm sorry your ducks are having problems with their feet. The foot photo looks like bumblefoot to me.

Years ago my own ducks were repeatedly getting bumblefoot. I took them to the vet for treatment. They would get better, and a few weeks later have sores returning. It was my two heaviest ducks in particular. This went on for a year before I asked my vet why. We reviewed my ducks' environment and my vet told me to remove all wood shavings, patio stones, rocks, gravel, boards, ect. She told me to only allow my ducks to walk/stand/sleep on uncompacted dirt or grass outside and 4-6 inches straw, hay, or thick layers of towels inside. I thought my vet was nuts. The wood shavings I was using were really fluffy seeming, and I tried to explain that, but she told me that to small duck feet it was like standing on a board all night. I still didn't think it was going to work, but I changed my system just in case. I built them an entirely new aviary three times as big with wire on top to let sunlight in so I could grow grass as substrate. My vet was right. My ducks haven't had one bumble since.

This might not be the case with your ducks, but it worked for mine. The straw/hay is harder to deal with than shavings and needs to be cleaned more frequently.
Where do you purchase hay or straw bedding? You don't find that it pokes their feet too? Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Where do you purchase hay or straw bedding? You don't find that it pokes their feet too? Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
We get chopped straw for our nest boxes from Tractor Supply. It comes in a bale sized plastic bag. Some feed stores sell hay and some do not. My daughter buys hay for her horses from an independant hay farmer and it is quite a bit cheaper than Tractor Supply or Southern States most of the year.

I just buy bales of it at our local combination hardware/feed store. We live in a small town. You can get straw or hay at any feed store. Just make sure you try to keep it as dry as possible or it will get moldy.

I haven't had any foot poking problems. It has been... 4 or even 5 years now and I haven't had one bumble, callus, or sore. My ducks go to the vet twice yearly for wellness exams and the vets check over their feet very well.

I just buy bales of it at our local combination hardware/feed store. We live in a small town. You can get straw or hay at any feed store. Just make sure you try to keep it as dry as possible or it will get moldy.

I haven't had any foot poking problems. It has been... 4 or even 5 years now and I haven't had one bumble, callus, or sore. My ducks go to the vet twice yearly for wellness exams and the vets check over their feet very well.
Keeping it dry is going to be a problem. They have a pool in the run and they spread water all over. It gets hot here and they need it to stay cool. What would be a good ground cover for in the run around a pool area?

Keeping it dry is going to be a problem. They have a pool in the run and they spread water all over. It gets hot here and they need it to stay cool. What would be a good ground cover for in the run around a pool area?
Grass/dirt.... But grass needs the sun and your aviary is covered...

Hmmm, what about foam work out puzzle mats? I've been using them for about 6-8 months over a concrete area and I haven't had any bumblefoot issues so far. It isn't as impressive a duration as years, but so far so good!

Oh, my vet also told me I could use sand. I asked her about the risk of impaction and she agreed that was a possible life threatening concern. So we decided not to use sand.

Another member I know tried sand around her ducks pool and disliked it as it was hard to keep dry and clean, I believe. But I thought I would mention it to you so you would have options.

When you took your ducks to the vet for bumble foot what were they treated with? Did they get antibiotics or did they cut out the infection? I've had to take one in before and was given pills but was very unsuccessful in getting any down the duck.

When you took your ducks to the vet for bumble foot what were they treated with? Did they get antibiotics or did they cut out the infection? I've had to take one in before and was given pills but was very unsuccessful in getting any down the duck.
My vet gave me antibiotic tablets, SSD cream, antibacterial wash, and anti inflammatory medication. She had me wash the foot twice daily and put on the cream.

My vets never cut out the infection, but I think I had more mild/moderate cases compared to photos I have seen here. They might have if I had a more extreme case.

I made a kind of "surgical drape" by putting a small hole in a plastic bag and putting my duck's foot through the hole. That way I didn't get any soap on my duck. After washing my duck's foot I dried it and applied the SSD ointment. I was supposed to use neoprene booties or wrap it, but my duck splashed water all inside her booties when she drank from her bucket making her foot wrinkled and pruney. So I just put boots on her at night.

I've gotten really good at medicating over the years. If your ducks like tomatoes I highly recommend the "tomato pill pocket" method. I can make a tutorial if you are interested. It's so easy my ducks gobble up medication like treats. If they don't like tomatoes, or eat from your hands, you'll have to catch them. But I still find tablets or capsules to be pretty easy. Trim your nails very short - or at least your index finger you'll be using to poke the medication down with. Then squat behind your duck, holding your duck with your knees. Open your duck's mouth with one hand and with the other hand poke the tablet down the side of her mouth and throat. You need to tip her head up a little and push the tablet down her throat farther than you think or she'll shake her head and bring it back up. I just take a breath, do it quickly, smoothly, and then it is over and I give them some mealworms in their water bucket.

Back
Top Bottom