Bumble Foot...........Does anyone have a picture of it???

Seach the forums - there's a fabulous picture of it from recently.

If it is bumblefoot, it's cause by a staph bacteria. The scabbing will need to be cut out, cleaned, dressed, medicated, and wrapped. Staph are stubborn bacteria and require a bit more work.

Silvadene, by the way, is supposed to be a good topical (skin based) antibiotic.

Hope this helps start you out.

Thanks. I did a cursive search as I needed to take care of whatever this is. She has what I thought was a pussy sac on top of the foot and another spot higher on the leg. I soaked it and tried to drain it but it was hard and just bled. I put betadine on it and when that dried I put benedryl spray.......thinking it might be a bug bite. I waited and applied some hydrocortisone and then wrapped it with gauze and adhesive tape and isolated her.

From what I could find on a search it appears that bumble foot is on the bottom of the foot. Her bottom foot is fine.

While soaking her feet I noticed that the right side of her face is swollen also so I gave her some liquid benedry......just a drop and a crushed baby aspirin.

Anyone have anything to add to this?

Wish I had gotten a picture but it's wrapped now.

Thanks,

Mary

You can search "large abscess on foot" that I posted it has really good pics.
My hen has healed up nicely I was able to put her back with the other girls today.
The key to getting it healed up is keeping the wound cleaned. Good Luck!

Prep H works great for staph infections on people. I thought my RIR Roo had bumble foot. I applied Prep H, and wrapped with strips from a clean tshirt. Swelling went down overnight and I realized it was not bumble foot but he had actually fractured his ankle. I continued with the Prep H and wrapping to keep swelling down and watched him until he stopped limping. He is fine now though it is apparent where the fracture was.

Prep H is good for any swelling as long as there is not a open wound. I normally use it for heat rash if in the heat to long.

Quote:
Good Idea.........I didn't have that but I think the Hydrocortisone is pretty much the same thing.

Anyone know how often a 7 month old pullet can have a baby aspirin for pain?

If bumble foot is the bottom of the foot then it's something else. I'm thinking a bite of some kind but I suppose it could be fractured.

She is limping and it's a hard abcess on the top of the foot and a smaller lump higher up. The upper lump bled when I bathed her and the lower lump is hard and won't drain.

Just guessing here..........I really don't have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom