Bumble foot first-timer — help a chicken tender out

Mirosa

Hatching
Sep 18, 2022
Hello! This is my first time dealing with bumble foot. My hen has it on both feet. After soaking her in Epsom salt for 5 days, I was able to remove the kernel on the left foot yesterday. It bled a lot but I didn’t see any pus or white stringy stuff. I took a picture of it today, one day after removing the core, and you can see the attached image on the left.

1. Does it look like I got the infection out?
2. Should I keep soaking it?
3. Should I just keep spraying it with Vetericyn and adding Neosporin before wrapping it?

The other foot has been trickier. I haven’t been able to remove the core all at once. Instead, I’ve gotten it bit by bit and now I’m not sure if it’s all gone. It hasn’t bled and the foot pad still feels a bit firm in the spot when I press on it. It’s the second picture. I have the same questions as the other foot!

Thanks so much for your help. 🙏

Attachments

• 16F2DF55-6E68-4C45-BD5F-68704C20E499.jpeg
    16F2DF55-6E68-4C45-BD5F-68704C20E499.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 321B2D3B-74F3-41CE-80B9-B84E02AA1639.jpeg
    321B2D3B-74F3-41CE-80B9-B84E02AA1639.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 9
Both looks good to me ... I usually just leave it alone (as told) unless it bothers them. There has been times the scab just disappears. From what I've learned is prevention ... It's usually the "heavier" breeds that develop it AND their "flooring" as well as the roost height. I have stayed away from the Orps that I love (bumble foot & broodiness) and lowered my roosts, pick up any rocks they dig up and keep a good layer of shavings in the CH. Have not had any issues :fl:fl:fl

Both looks good to me ... I usually just leave it alone (as told) unless it bothers them. There has been times the scab just disappears. From what I've learned is prevention ... It's usually the "heavier" breeds that develop it AND their "flooring" as well as the roost height. I have stayed away from the Orps that I love (bumble foot & broodiness) and lowered my roosts, pick up any rocks they dig up and keep a good layer of shavings in the CH. Have not had any issues :fl:fl:fl
Thanks for taking the time to look over these pics and sharing your advice. If there are any changes when I swap or her bandages I might come back with new pics.

I hope your good luck continues!!

Back
Top Bottom