Bumble foot- first timer- what to do?

ashleyimme

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
Hello!

I'm a new chicken owner, and I have a girl who will not walk on one foot. This just started today. She hops on her other foot and limps around. She also did not go to roost tonight, she just layed down in the corner of the coop.

From what I've been researching- it seems like bumble foot may be what she has?

Is this something that I need to take action on? Some places say that it may go away, but she isn't walking on the foot and I feel so bad for her! What can I do at home to take care of it?

Thank you <3

Hello!

I'm a new chicken owner, and I have a girl who will not walk on one foot. This just started today. She hops on her other foot and limps around. She also did not go to roost tonight, she just layed down in the corner of the coop.

From what I've been researching- it seems like bumble foot may be what she has?

Is this something that I need to take action on? Some places say that it may go away, but she isn't walking on the foot and I feel so bad for her! What can I do at home to take care of it?

Thank you <3
Hello, Ashley, and welcome to BYC.
Can you please get some good pictures of the bad foot, both bottom and top of the foot?
This is best done after you soak her feet in a warm Epsom salt bath for about 20 minutes then towel dry.
Depending on the severity, bumblefoot may need just several days to a few weeks of soakings and the application of a good drawing salve then bandaging to home surgery with antibiotics.

Hello, Ashley, and welcome to BYC.
Can you please get some good pictures of the bad foot, both bottom and top of the foot?
This is best done after you soak her feet in a warm Epsom salt bath for about 20 minutes then towel dry.
Depending on the severity, bumblefoot may need just several days to a few weeks of soakings and the application of a good drawing salve then bandaging to home surgery with antibiotics.

This may be a silly question, but what’s the best way to soak a chicken’s foot? Hold her for the whole time? Otherwise how do I keep her foot in the water? Do I just release her back into the coop after soaking?

I don't know if that would work for a chicken, but i soaked my duck's feet in a Homer-Bucket:

She hated it and ducks can curse way worse than any sailor! I don't know about that with chickens either.

Here is a picture of her foot. I haven’t gotten a chance to soak it yet. She was already missing the One toe for a while now. I’m wondering if it isn’t bumble foot, is her foot broken?

Attachments

• 05FD3B3A-4F56-499C-A843-7CA2BF6C4344.jpeg
    05FD3B3A-4F56-499C-A843-7CA2BF6C4344.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 17
I don't know if that would work for a chicken, but i soaked my duck's feet in a Homer-Bucket:

She hated it and ducks can curse way worse than any sailor! I don't know about that with chickens either.
:gigThis quacked me up!!
I'd be cussing too if you bent my tail like that!

Here is a picture of her foot. I haven’t gotten a chance to soak it yet. She was already missing the One toe for a while now. I’m wondering if it isn’t bumble foot, is her foot broken?
Before you try anything, try to trim the middle nail to see if that helps at all.
I don't know if it's just the photo angle, but it seems very long.

Soak her feet in warm epsom salt water for at least 20 minutes. Then take more pictures and post them. I think I do see bumble but can't tell.

Back
Top Bottom