Bumble foot, herpes? I don’t know.

Kehknee

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
SW Arizona
Hi all,

today I went out to do some coop maintenance, cleaning etc.

I noticed this on my cockrels feet.. the other day it looked like a bug bite so I cleaned it thoroughly and made some typical assumptions.

today when I went out to the coop I noticed a large black almost scab looking thing. Along the leg there are some blisters too which is throwing me off. I’ve checked the bottom of his feet and they appear normal, no swelling or anything major. Could this be a case of bumble foot or does he have a chicken herpes type of thing? if so what may have caused it and does anyone have any tips on how to manage, cure this.

Thanks in advance!
685C86F0-0E8B-4348-8036-92A7FDAEA712.jpeg
649F0389-1D22-49DA-BA41-97BB3B558ABE.jpeg

Before anyone asks.. I live in Arizona, humidity is LOW, bedding is sand, chat and a minimal amount of pine shavings.

it is raked and cleaned routinely. Also there aren’t wet areas besides the wading pools I set up when it gets hot.

Did you put bluekote on it?
Not seeing the blisters.
Could be a bug bite that is going necrotic, tho no redness around it.
I imagine there could be venomous insects/spiders in AZ?

I live in Arizona
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1624482905698.png

Did you put bluekote on it?
Not seeing the blisters.
Could be a bug bite that is going necrotic, tho no redness around it.
I imagine there could be venomous insects/spiders in AZ?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2731988
Thanks for the info, I’ve updated my location so hopefully that helps.

I have not put bluekote yet, I’ll give that a shot.
Also I’ve attached some photos depicting the “warts” I was talking about.
60D8A5A1-0A99-41FA-9DB5-3C7E91DCC966.jpeg
BF36A825-FFB0-4639-9E93-1C184689764B.jpeg
48323B39-9F00-4D28-81A5-3AEFB268FF30.jpeg
C394AFAE-8502-407D-A106-5EBB34458619.jpeg

I have not put bluekote yet, I’ll give that a shot.
I don't think bluekote is worth bothering with,
I asked because I thought it might have stained the area.

Good pics of the bumps...are they hard like a wart, or fluid filled like a blister?

Calling in more experienced diagnosticians.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony

Ah ok, thanks!

The warts seem slightly firm outside and soft on the inside. similar to a blister you get after some manual labor.
Thanks everyone for the help

Is he the only cockerel you have?

Could be from injury/picking, possibly insect bite. I think I would apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the scab and rub a thin layer of vaseline into the legs and feet. See if that helps.

Is he the only cockerel you have?

Could be from injury/picking, possibly insect bite. I think I would apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the scab and rub a thin layer of vaseline into the legs and feet. See if that helps.
Yes, he’s my only cockrel at the moment. I don’t think they could be from others picking at him. I haven’t seen anything that could cause that.

in addition to the ointments do you recommend cleaning the legs with an iodine solution?

Cleaning with a diluted Iodine solution probably won't hurt.

Picking of feet often occurs during roosting, so take a good look at his feet first thing in the morning. Better yet, take photos each night and in the morning for several days in a row and do some comparison unless you can remember details from one day to another.

Back
Top Bottom