Bumble foot issue. Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adroit14, Feb 28, 2016.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    So I needed a new duck pen, so my ducks needed to stay in an old cage until we can findo or build a new one. I did neglect to put bedding in there. So 2 weeks after I put them in the cage, it looks like they all have bumblefoot. I freaked out and rushed to clean there feet ( with a beta dine solution ). Now I need help. Sorry for little details. I will take them to the vet, but as a last resort. Any help would be appreciated

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So this is a wire bottom cage? I would put a few old towels on the bottom for now - if you can get photo's that might help.

I would get them into a lukewarm tub of water daily if possible, and follow that with some triple antibiotic ointment with no painkiller.

They need to be on a soft, relatively clean surface - maybe you can find a used household item store, or bum some old towels from friends and family.

Also - can you make sure to scrub the bottom of the cage with soap and hot water to help reduce bacteria load?

3. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Sorry for not responding. My email is acting up. Its a wood bottom. I did put a large, soft tarp around the cage. ill get photos tomorrow since i saw this at night. I have been dipping their feet in a betadine solution every night to reduce bacteria on their feet. The cage got cleaned, too. Also, if it got to surgery, what would i have to do?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think you can avoid surgery - clear iodine seems better to me. I might just put triple antibiotic ointment (no painkiller) on their feet twice a day instead if betadine.

5. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Do i have to wrap their feet? If so, what should i use. Also, i just dip their feet in the iodine everyday? thanks.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What are you now using for bedding? They need to have relatively clean bedding in their shelter.

8. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Currently, I am using a soft tarp. Soon u am getting hay

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Right - somehow I envisioned the tarp outside the cage. Thanks.

10. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Is it really bumblefoot or could it just be callus? My ducks have callus on their feet and I thought it was bumblefoot because it looks so strange. Luckily not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by