bumble foot? please help!

in town chicken farmer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Grand junction Colorado
so i went to the coop to day and i noticed that 2 of my chickens have a ball on each foot where the pad is. 1 hen has a scale on top of the foot that is raised up. i think i read somewhere that there was a bug or something thet could get under the scales and cause swelling to the foot. my first thought though is bumble foot but im not shure. any thoughts on what i need to do to fix my hens feet would be warmly accepted. thank you
big_smile.png

Do you think it could be mites? There are mites that get under the scales on the legs of chickens. Some people treat it by slathering the legs in vaseline.

Have you tried a search on this?

i have been battleing lice so maby leg mites were here as well. i was just looking through the other posts to see if anyone else was having this problem. and i read the same thing as you sugested but they said to use bag balm im shure that either one will work fine and i have both. so out to the coop i go, im gonna give it a try. thank you for your time! i do apreciate it. thanks!

there is Scaley Leg Mite that causes crust and raised scales.
There is also Bumblefoot that causes a puss plug in the soles of the feet..the infection is usually Staph..
both need treatment.

for Scaley Leg..some type of oil or vaseline, or Bag Balm on the legs to smother the mites and help condition the scales.
some people scrub the legs with a very soft brush before applying the Bag Balm..
then treat bird for mites..
Ivermec (ivermectin) is effective in treating leg mites and other critters.

can you post a pic of the legs and feet?

if it's Bumblefoot..they need Pen-G procaine injections..
available at farm/feed/livestock stores..usually found in the frig.
or some systemic antibiotic for treating staph.

the plug (raised area on the ball of foot)..needs attention..
for now..you can try making up a paste of sugar and betadine, and apply it to the feet, covering it with cotton ball and self stick bandage...to help draw the infection out.
but it might need to be lanced and the cheesy plug removed..everything should be sterile and area properly treated to kill and stop infection..washed with wound cleanser or diluted betadine..or iodine. antibiotic ointment applied and bandaged as above.
the hens should be confined to a safe area with food and water and soft clean bedding so they can rest the feet.

are the swellings hot?

it's possible they have both conditions.
how high are the roosts?
are there lots of stones or prickly things where they walk?

you can do a search here for Bumblefoot and Scaley Leg for more info. Lots of it.

for treating them for lice and mites initially..you might want to give them a bath with diluted Adams flea shampoo for dogs and cats..

antibiotics, insecticides, and Ivermectin is available at most farm/feed/livestock stores..or:

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/

the ivermectin is listed as a wormer since it also gets rid of worms.

you'll have to thoroughly clean the coop, remove bedding, and treat..get rid of the old bedding.
what are using for bedding?
pine shavings is best...not straw or hay.

Back
Top Bottom