Bumble Foot Question

Ch1cken7

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2021
Hey guys,

Noticed a golden wyandotte limping today. We took a look and in the center of the foot there is a kernel. It seems like it's hardened over and I don't see any pus, redness or really even any swelling. It's almost as if it was "meant to be there". Obviously it's not normal but I had thought bumble foot was an obvious infection that was gross.

I can snap a pic tomorrow if needed but here's my plan....curious if there's something more or less I should do -

epsom salt soak (10-15 min)
spray with blu-kote
put PRID with a gauze and sports wrap and tape

Do i need to isolate the bird to a dog crate for the time being? or can I let her loose and monitor at this point? For the record she's the top dog and the flock isn't overly agressive together. Guess i'm under the impression that because it's not overly swollen or pussy that it's not infected thus no need to make it more stressful than necessary.

Here’s pics from last night:

I found an article on here about it. Pretty close to what I mentioned above. Added neosporin and using vetrimycin instead of Blu kote.

It’s honestly not that bad, biggest tips are wrap the bird with a towel like a chicken burrito and cover the head too so it’s dark. Use waterproof medical tape around the vet wrap.

And this is big, DO NOT DO THIS AT NIGHT! We took her from the perch after she went to bed and it was a gross poopy wreck cause she was basically draining the entire time. So gross. Clean and wrap before bed time it’s way cleaner. Yeesh.

Attachments

• 236FBAEF-8DAA-4B23-A8DB-9F5F61836DCE.jpeg
    236FBAEF-8DAA-4B23-A8DB-9F5F61836DCE.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A55F6811-CC1F-450E-ACC3-7927B98B76EC.jpeg
    A55F6811-CC1F-450E-ACC3-7927B98B76EC.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 11
  • F5670F13-C90F-4A8A-94BA-D9348E0B7FE8.jpeg
    F5670F13-C90F-4A8A-94BA-D9348E0B7FE8.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi there!
I had a similar case with Bumblefoot in one of my RIRs and it wasn’t gross or filled with puss either which made me wonder if it was infected at all. I ended up soaking it and removing the kernel though and then wrapped it, but I’m curious to know when you stopped wrapping the foot? It’s not oozing and doesn’t look like it’s infected so I’m wondering if she’s fine to have the bandage removed.

I wondered the same thing. So after removal of the kernel, 24hrs later it looked great and mostly closed up to my surprise. But we bana dated anyways.

48hrs later she started limping more and her toes were swollen. Upon removal of the bandage we saw no issue at the wound site. The area showed minor difference to surrounding skin, just like a minor scab but completely closed. And if I hadn’t known what was there before I might miss it.

So with that I let her go without the bandage as I think it was doing more harm now. Checking today but she’s not limping nearly as much. I think a week of bandage took a while to get movement back into that foot.

Back
Top Bottom