Bumble foot- Should I euthanize them?

14 passengers

Chirping
Oct 27, 2023
Multiple of my chickens have bumble foot seemingly on both feet. This has never happened. Ive looked up what to do- but I'm unsure how to calm down the hen after they've been caught. Theres minimal space for them to be separated until they've healed and it will be quite a bit of money to heal them all. ts in the early stages- no kernel yet. Should I just put them down? Theyre only 3 years old so they have some time left to live.

Do you have any pictures of how bad the bumblefoot is? Do you know how they're getting these infections - is there rough ground they're walking on constantly, or their perches have splinters? If it's in the early stages I wouldn't euthanize yet.

I actually just treated one of my hens last night for bumble foot on both feet. Where I live it’s VERY rocky, so most of my girls have bumble foot. I understand your concern of treating them all at once but euthanizing is out of the question. If you are worried about treating all of them at once then try treating the worst hen first and so on. If you are unwilling to even try that then give them away. I’m sure there are lots of others who would gladly take them. Bumble foot is very common and it is unfair to end a chickens life solely because you are unwilling to take proper care of your chickens. I hope no offense is taken but owning chickens comes with the responsibility to properly care for them.

Euthanizing isn’t the answer to your issue. Our site has a lot of information to guide you through treating it. If you’re unable to treat your chickens, I strongly suggest seeking out people who are willing to take them and treat them. Bumble foot is painful, and your birds can ultimately become lame and die without treatment. Since the ground they’re being kept on seems to be a major issue, you should consider changing it to make it more forgiving on your chickens feet. Make sure anything they can cut their feet on is removed (sticks, sharp rocks, metal). If it’s too rocky, then add dirt and/or shavings. I’m not trying to be critical of your chicken-keeping. I’m only trying to give you options to avoid what you're planning to do with your injured chickens. If you can’t treat them, you can find someone willing to. Then, focus on doing something about the area that the remaining chickens are walking on in order to avoid more injuries. I wish you well, and I hope you reach out to others for help.

Back
Top Bottom