Is this bumblefoot?

Happyhens3326

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2020
I have two hens that show signs on their feet that looks similar to bumble foot, however neither of them are limping or showing any discomfort from their feet. I have never dealt with bumblefoot before but have done some research on what you’re supposed to do to treat it but what to make sure that’s what it is first.
The hen on the second two slides has had those dirt balls removed multiple times, I can just pop them out with my finger. Underneath is regular skin but it’s been quite stretched out and ends up filling back up again.
One of my hens (the first three slides) has strange skin growth that is in spikes? Not really sure what that is and some of it feels quite stiff along with the bumble foot looking scabs on the center pads on both her feet.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
IMG_0080.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
neither of them are limping or showing any discomfort from their feet.
☝️☝️ If there's no limping or discomfort, then I'd leave the feet alone.

Yes, the scabs can be an indication of the beginning of bumblefoot. Perhaps some calluses. Often these issues can resolve on their own or the spots never cause a problem. If they walk and roost fine, then I'd leave it alone. Just monitor for infection, redness, swelling, limping, etc.

The spikey looking foot, that looks like contact dermatitis. This can be from walking on wet litter or having the feet wet quite a bit. Again, I'd leave it alone. Just monitor for infection, redness, swelling, limping, etc.

Poop/debris balls can get stuck in the crevices of the foot. You'll just need to monitor and remove them as needed.

Just my opinion - 2¢

☝️☝️ If there's no limping or discomfort, then I'd leave the feet alone.

Yes, the scabs can be an indication of the beginning of bumblefoot. Perhaps some calluses. Often these issues can resolve on their own or the spots never cause a problem. If they walk and roost fine, then I'd leave it alone. Just monitor for infection, redness, swelling, limping, etc.

The spikey looking foot, that looks like contact dermatitis. This can be from walking on wet litter or having the feet wet quite a bit. Again, I'd leave it alone. Just monitor for infection, redness, swelling, limping, etc.

Poop/debris balls can get stuck in the crevices of the foot. You'll just need to monitor and remove them as needed.

Just my opinion - 2¢
Ok, thanks!
Yeah I live in an area that gets a lot of rain so it’s difficult to keep everything dry even though I have a cover on their run and coop.

Back
Top Bottom