Bumble foot with no plug? HELP!

chesterjet

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Two of my five hens got the obvious sighns of bumble foot. The plug is there. Their feet do not look swollen and they are not limping. The other two hens do not have the black plug, their feet look fine, but they are limping. Can the have bumble foot with out the obvious sighn of the plug? I am getting the courage to operate on the two with the plug but should I try to do the same on the other two? I hope I am making sense, I am so stressed out about trying to do this surgery today!! I appreciate any, any imput.

If the hens that have the plugs don't limp, then do nothing. Do you see anything on the feet of the limping hens? What does their feet look like? Can you see any inflammation?

Their pad looks fine maybe a little pink on their toes. Like the beginning of a blister. I have soaked their feet in epson salts and water. I also wrapped their feet up, but is so wet outside now, I don't know if it doing any good.

So, for the ones with the plug, don't operate since they are not limping? Should I keep soaking in epson salt?

Two of my five hens got the obvious sighns of bumble foot. The plug is there. Their feet do not look swollen and they are not limping. The other two hens do not have the black plug, their feet look fine, but they are limping. Can the have bumble foot with out the obvious sighn of the plug? I am getting the courage to operate on the two with the plug but should I try to do the same on the other two? I hope I am making sense, I am so stressed out about trying to do this surgery today!! I appreciate any, any imput.
I've had birds that have the telltale scab. Yet the bird wasnt limping, no redness, no swelling. I wouldnt go in there digging around unless you see one of the signs I mentioned. It's a waste of time and stress on the bird. The scab will disappear on its own.
The hens that are limping and no sign of a scab, if you see swelling or redness..then there's a good possibilty a scab will eventually form. In this case, I still dont recommend going in after it neither...it could be something else such as gout, a bee sting, swelling due to jumping down from a high roost etc...
Check your first 2 hens for the scab and redness. If you see that, commence surgery. You'll do fine.

I've had this same thing happen on more than one occasion (4 actually) to my easter eggers... It never gets better, there is never a sign of bumble foot, and all the response I ever get is it must be sprained or maybe the ligament has come out of the hock joint. Now my last easter egger rooster, Mr. Big (in the picture), has started limping, no sign of bumble foot, no open sores, doesn't feel swollen, and I put Vaseline on his legs in case scaly leg was the problem.
idunno.gif
I hate to put him down, but that has been the final answer for the other 3 girls.

Last edited:
Here is a bumblefoot surgery removal video I just found. Originally posted by fuzzybutt love.
WARNING: VERY VERY GRAPHIC!!

It's a very good video, just made me want to throw up
sickbyc.gif
and cry
hit.gif
at the same time!
Dawg, you are so good with these things, I feel like you hang out in the injured chicken section! How in the world do the chickens not scream and yell when you're doing surgery on them? I don't know if I have access to pain killers, would asprin or something work?

I ordered the Tricide Neo last night to treat the girls with the classic symptoms of bumble foot. One of my other girls that is limping got a good soak in epson salts. Her feet still look normal, but limping is worse. I decided to inspect her leg and do a good massage and feel if anything seems out of place or swollen. Feels normal but she is a little twitchy. I noticed though a bunch of her scales in the legs a little lifted up. So guess what? I put a lot of Vaseline on her legs, massaged it in really well, and put her in my basement in my dogs create. Lots of good oats which she loves and some water with electrolytes. Wish me and little Cherry good luck. Oh, I took some pictures of her legs and feet. Will post later to see what you all think.

Here is a bumblefoot surgery removal video I just found. Originally posted by fuzzybutt love.
WARNING: VERY VERY GRAPHIC!!

It's a very good video, just made me want to throw up
sickbyc.gif
and cry
hit.gif
at the same time!
Dawg, you are so good with these things, I feel like you hang out in the injured chicken section! How in the world do the chickens not scream and yell when you're doing surgery on them? I don't know if I have access to pain killers, would asprin or something work?
I've done alot of bumblefoot surgeries, plenty of sweet gum trees (gumballs) and pine cones laying around. Once all the infection is removed and you continue dig around and squeeze, most of the time they'll kind of jerk their foot...that's when I know it's pretty well infection free. If you use a painkiller/aspirin, the chicken wont have pain...then you could be digging into small ligaments or tendons causing a more severe injury. Pain is the chickens friend, my friend in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom