1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I just spent over an hour trying (the key word is "trying") to perform surgery on one of my hens who has bumble foot. She has a huge knot on the top of her foot, but she also had what appeared to be a scab on the pad of her foot. I cut that scab off just to find absolutely nothing underneath. Then I cut around the scab on the top lump and got some infection out. I feel like I didn't get nearly all of it though. Soaked it while pushing on it like I read about doing and also dug around with tweezers, but it got to the point where it looked like I was pulling out tissue, not infection. I finally decided to just put some colloidal silver down in it and some vetericyn and wrapped it up. I feel like I completely failed at helping her though.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Bumblefoot is SO hard to deal with--I feel your pain. The important thing now is to keep the wound VERY clean--secondary infections with bumblefoot surgery are very common. Make sure to change the dressing often. Vetericyn is a great thing to put on there. Some people inject 1/2 cc of penicillin into the swollen area after surgery, too.

3. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I think it might be looking a little better. I'm soaking it in epsom salt every day and putting colloidal silver and Veterycin on it. I love Veterycin. I had a horse with a horribly infected wound on its leg, and it cleared it up really fast.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Sounds like you're doing a good job. It may take awhile to heal completely. Just keep the wound clean. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by