Bumble foot?

Dealchicks

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 27, 2013
Her foot is swollen and she is standing on one foot. She only puts it down if she has to. I tried soaking her in epsom salt for 20 minutes this morning. Nothing happened. I put her in a run by herself so the other chickens would not harrass her. I am planning on soaking again tonight when I get home from work. Any other ideas???? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Dealchicks

Can you post a pic of the bottom of her foot? If she has a scab over a swollen spot on it then yes, it’s likely bumblefoot. If this is the case you’ll have to decide whether you want to try surgery or soaking daily in Tricide-Neo. Either way, you’ll need some self adhesive wrap, I like the thinner human stuff rather than vetwrap, and you’ll do well to have some gauze and a topical antibiotic without pain reliever to dress.

Can you post a pic of the bottom of her foot? If she has a scab over a swollen spot on it then yes, it’s likely bumblefoot. If this is the case you’ll have to decide whether you want to try surgery or soaking daily in Tricide-Neo. Either way, you’ll need some self adhesive wrap, I like the thinner human stuff rather than vetwrap, and you’ll do well to have some gauze and a topical antibiotic without pain reliever to dress.
I dont have a pic but will take one tonight. There is no scab the pad of her foot is swollen.

Here it is. Swollen, but no sign of thin skin for anything to break out of. :-(

Attachments

• IMG-1930.jpg
    IMG-1930.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 10
Here it is. Swollen, but no sign of thin skin for anything to break out of. :-(
No you won’t see thin skin because it’s usually after a scab has formed and has begun to heal but the infection gets in there. When you press on it is it hard in the middle? Maybe squishy around the edges but feels like it has a hard core? Are her toes or the top of her foot swollen? It looks like there’s something in there to me.

Sometimes Bumblefoot can appear without a core, and that can be referred to as Pododermatitis, which is simply the inflammation of the dermal surfaces of the feet. I have seen birds like this, and, most vets I've seen I have recommended starting the bird on an antibiotic, as well as an NSAID to reduce the inflammation.

Antibiotics and an NSAID like Metacam would be preferred from the vet, but if you're unable to get one, you can get antibiotics in fish form, such as Cephalexin which is often used in cases of skin infections. For an NSAID, you can give her either Ibuprofen or baby aspirin. The dose for baby aspirin is one 325mg tablet per 250ml of drinking water. The dose for Ibuprofen is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight.

Wow, it does look like theres something in there? Is it hard, warm, squishy, could it be an abscess? Maybe you should do hot compresses on it, when my horse had an abscess on her side, I hat compressed it and it went away over night. I am not certain it is an access, but it may help. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @Isaac 0 Any ideas?
Yes it is hard overall, but not like there is a hard object clearly inside. It is more like uniformly hard swollen.

Last edited:
Sometimes Bumblefoot can appear without a core, and that can be referred to as Pododermatitis, which is simply the inflammation of the dermal surfaces of the feet. I have seen birds like this, and, most vets I've seen I have recommended starting the bird on an antibiotic, as well as an NSAID to reduce the inflammation.

Antibiotics and an NSAID like Metacam would be preferred from the vet, but if you're unable to get one, you can get antibiotics in fish form, such as Cephalexin which is often used in cases of skin infections. For an NSAID, you can give her either Ibuprofen or baby aspirin. The dose for baby aspirin is one 325mg tablet per 250ml of drinking water. The dose for Ibuprofen is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight.
Thank you so much. We will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom