Bumble foot

A few weeks ago
Then as long as it didn't get infected, the foot should be just about healed by now. Btw i remember using that ointment on horses back in the 1980s! Maybe not the preferred med for your silky's foot, but as long as you never saw signs of infection then the ointment did the job. Post a photo(s) when you can, but hopefully your little guy is far along on the road to recovery.

OP never said it was frostbite. In fact they clarified the chick had never been exposed to cold weather. Other issues can lead to necrotic toes. You are making an incorrect assumption.
That's why I said "forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something".... it really looks like frostbite to me, but since you mentioned it- what else can lead to necrotic toes? I've never heard of anything else causing it, and I'd like to learn (and others probably would too) so it can be avoided in the future. I understand OP needs help with this particular chick right now, but how does this happen and how can it be avoided for future reference?

That's why I said "forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something".... it really looks like frostbite to me, but since you mentioned it- what else can lead to necrotic toes?
You are correct that frostbite is typically the cause of necrotic toes and feet. But there was a fairly recent thread about a wild pigeon that lost its foot due to a rubberband wrapped around its leg, which cut off blood supply. The pigeon was very lucky that the OP of that thread caught it and gave it a good home.

There are some rare vascular disorders and syndromes that can cut off blood supply and cause necrosis in birds. Very rare, but it does happen. (In humans, diabetes is the most common disease that can cause loss of toes, feet and legs, but there are other disorders too.)

@horseloverfarmgirl originally made this post because the Silkie chick had bumblefoot. Without photos and updates along the way its hard to know what happened, but if she said her chick was never exposed to freezing weather, I have no reason to not believe her.

You are correct that frostbite is typically the cause of necrotic toes and feet. But there was a fairly recent thread about a wild pigeon that lost its foot due to a rubberband wrapped around its leg, which cut off blood supply. The pigeon was very lucky that the OP of that thread caught it and gave it a good home.

There are some rare vascular disorders and syndromes that can cut off blood supply and cause necrosis in birds. Very rare, but it does happen. (In humans, diabetes is the most common disease that can cause loss of toes, feet and legs, but there are other disorders too.)

@horseloverfarmgirl originally made this post because the Silkie chick had bumblefoot. Without photos and updates along the way its hard to know what happened, but if she said her chick was never exposed to freezing weather, I have no reason to not believe her.
That's very interesting, thank you. I didn't see the post where OP said this chick hadn't been exposed to freezing temps, I thought they had said the chick was outside without bedding in January. Being a Minnesotan, I assumed frostbite. I suppose all of OP's chicks would have similar feet issues though, if that was the case. This is definitely odd 🤔 OP, any updates on the chick?

That's very interesting, thank you. I didn't see the post where OP said this chick hadn't been exposed to freezing temps, I thought they had said the chick was outside without bedding in January. Being a Minnesotan, I assumed frostbite. I suppose all of OP's chicks would have similar feet issues though, if that was the case. This is definitely odd 🤔 OP, any updates on the chick?
No nothing new

So rn he's in a clean Landry basket with a towel so his foot can have air. He's also with the one I KNOW is a rooster. They have been getting along well. I will clean out the basket every day. 16489083096325879223652345860911.jpg

You said toes were gone. That looks like pretty much the entire foot is missing. At least from my perspective. I see the scab, is it oozy, stinky,coming from it. The scab, sometimes you can get a like yellowish clean liquid that crystalizes / scabs with it, and thats fairly normal. What you'd be most worried is stink, deep red, gooey, black, green, well, you know, infection goop coming out of it.

Besides for that little bit of red on the other side which I can not tell from this angle what it really is, if it's bleeding, a touch of infection left or what. It DOES look pretty clean and now it's just a matter of keeping it clean, maybe some antibiotic cream and you should be good.

Imn so sorry he got this injured, but on a good note, being it happened when he was so young, he'll learn how to use that thing and be just fine I bet.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom