Bumble foot???

Little-Farmer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
We had someone watching our quail for three days and this is what we came back to:
We found a mini egg with some growth on it?
And a hen layed up in the nesting area with bumble foot on both feet?
First, is there anything to be alarmed about this little egg?
Second, is it connected with the hurt hen? I have no idea if it's hers or one of the other seven quail hens.
Third, what's wrong with her and how can I treat her naturally??

[/IMG]

Sometimes birds lay tiny mis happen eggs. So as long as this only happens occasionally, it is nothing to worry about.

As for the bumblefoot, you really can't do surgery on these tiny feet like you can with chickens. The best thing you can do is get them off wire for a month or so. Use some neosporin with out painkiller along with some preparation H (this is for the swelling) and apply it daily. Keep the birds on grass hay, pine shavings or something really soft. And keep everything really clean. Do not do any cutting unless you are able to bandage the feet up well as you will be inviting in more bacteria.

This is no guarantee the feet will heal, but many times they can. If this bumblefoot is caused from bruising of the pads, they can heal up fairly quick.

Keep us posted on the progress! :)

Thanks twocrows. I had to shut her in the nesting box away from the others. My roo was very aggressive today, chasing and plucking head feathers. Since she isn't moving much, she had a lot if feather plucked.
Not sure what got him riled up.
We added two more cages of birds recently and the Roos started crowing in the last couple days. I'm wondering if it's hot him acting possessive of his girls even though the other Roos aren't in his cage. He's got eight hens so he should be content!

Make sure to keep your ratio correct to protect the hens....1 male to 4 to 7 females. If you don't keep enough hens, roos can over mate them to the point of death on the hens part. They get injuries externally and internally and go down hill fast. So remove aggressive roos and definitely give them enough hens to mate with.

The ratio is 8:1 so he should be happy. I'm not sure why he was aggressive yesterday. He's not like that typically. I guess I'll have to take him out today if he's still like that. Will the hens take to a new roo?

It is best to mix in new birds slowly from behind wire. Partition off your pen and keep the new roo on one side, the flock on the other. Everybody sees, no body touches. After a few weeks you can mix them all together. Watch them that first week to make sure they all get along.

Back
Top Bottom