Bumblefoot Advice

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
I have a pekin I'm treating for bumble foot. I've been soaking her foot in epsom salt and wrapping daily. The scab came off on 8/15 and I wrapped with PRID. Since the scab has opened, swelling went down a lot. She's on metacam, too. I'm including a photo, and am hoping someone can advise me if they think I got everything out? There's one area that I cannot tell if it's healing tissue or needs to be worked out. I'm not going to just cut into her foot.

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 27
I would suggest trying another soak. This time soak in the warmest possible water with Epsom salts and a squirt of dish soap no less than fifteen minutes.

Then, using your thumbnail, lift the edges around the lesion and see if you can lift off the scab. If there is any pus, it usually will come out attached to the scab.

Then rinse well, and pack the socket well with antibiotic ointment and then place a gauze pad over it an wrap in Vetrap. Check in two days. The scab should be perfectly flap and thin, but not black. If it still insists on becoming a bumpy black scab, you will need to repeat the soak and wound dressing until you get a flat thin scab that is perhaps darker than the surrounding tissue, but not black.

I usually soak for 30 minutes in Epson salt water, rinse with betadine and apply antibiotic ointment. Then place a small square of guaze over it to keep the ointment where I need it and provide padding. Then wrap the foot with vetwrap or any of the sticks to itself bandage. Then put a small piece of waterproof tape over it to keep it from coming off. I do this every day for about 7-14 days depending on how large it is. The are some when there is no more scab and just healthy skin.

Back
Top Bottom