Bumblefoot and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kathyb2, May 4, 2017.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I have 3 ducklings from TS. I think they are around 6 weeks old. I thought one of them, Donald, broke his foot. Didn't know what to do, so we took him to the vet. Vet said bumblefoot and treated him. I have had chickens for more than 10 years and not one case of bumblefoot. Does this occur more often in ducks than it does chickens? Also, the vet said to keep him secluded and out of the water. Does that sound right. He is in the house now and the other two are outside. Are they going to forget him? How difficult is it to intergrate young ducks?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Never heard of such a younger Bird getting that condition...?....What is its flooring made of?....Leave him with the others also...He is going to get stressed..Post a picture of its foot ..:)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    They r in a new spot that that still has grass. Its 10 x 20 and there are only 3 ducks in there. The vet did get a bunch of puss out of his foot. When they were in the house they were on puppy pads

4. chickens really

Sounds more like a prickle in the foot than bumble foot...:)....That will go away...

:)

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    a bumble looks like a planters wart, and is a staph infection,
    i would do as the vet told you
    he should be fine going back if you wanted you could treat the foot, wrap it and leave them all locked up together

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    What is prickle in the foot ? The vet said not to put him in water yet but I am concerned because he is not walking at all but he sure is growing. Anyone that has experience with this, should I put him in a clean kiddie pool a couple of times a day?

7. chickens really

A prickle means he stepped on something and then it got infected..

8. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Probably means a pricker, like from a rose or raspberry, if anything do epsom salt soaks, very beneficial- will help to draw out infection, reduce pain and swelling

9. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    How much salt to water?

10. chickens really

A Prickle.....A couple of teaspoons to about 8 litres of water?...Does not matter...Dont let him drink the water at all ..:)..He will get the poops!..:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by