bumblefoot....can treatment wait a week?

jojomojo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NW New Mexico
I think one of my girls has bumblefoot. I've never seen it in person, so I'll share some pictures below just to be sure (tried washing her feet with the hose but that didn't work too great).

I have found lots of good info on bumblefoot surgery. I want to use a biopsy punch rather than a scalpel, but I don't know if I can find one local (any ideas on places to check?). Can treatment wait a week for shipping? She is limping pretty badly and I have her separated from the flock. I of course don't want her to suffer for my convenience though.

Does this look like bumblefoot? And if so, is it best to just get on with it as soon as possible?

I think one of my girls has bumblefoot. I've never seen it in person, so I'll share some pictures below just to be sure (tried washing her feet with the hose but that didn't work too great).

I have found lots of good info on bumblefoot surgery. I want to use a biopsy punch rather than a scalpel, but I don't know if I can find one local (any ideas on places to check?). Can treatment wait a week for shipping? She is limping pretty badly and I have her separated from the flock. I of course don't want her to suffer for my convenience though.

Does this look like bumblefoot? And if so, is it best to just get on with it as soon as possible?
NO! Don't wait another minute. If you've never treated bumblefoot before here's a great page on the treatment from start to finish:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Hope everything turns out okay!!

That is one of the sites we'll be using (found lots of good info on this site as well). I sent an email to a vet tech friend to see if she knows of a local source for the biopsy punch. If not, we'll just use a scalpel.

It will still have to wait a little while though. This is NOT something I can do alone and my husband won't be able to help me until tomorrow evening at the earliest. The article says it is time consuming but doesn't estimate how long it might take. Any idea how much time we should plan for?

Time shouldnt be an issue. Starting with soaking the foot in warm epsom salts water for at least 20 minutes prior to performing surgery and removing ALL the infection takes time. Then the prepping wound with antibiotic ointment prior to wrapping it up correctly takes time as well. If the infection reaches the legbone, it quickly spreads through the chickens system, then death ensues. Time is of the essence removing the infection, but you want to do it right...the first time.

Okay, so I just watched that video and it was less than 10 minutes (and almost lost my dinner). I was REALLY trying to avoid having to watch that and leave THAT part to my husband too
sickbyc.gif
I was trying to decide if we might be able to do this tonight. My husband won't be home until almost 10pm, but I could prep and we could get this taken care of.

I don't have Epsom salt or Vetrap, but I do have Betadine, gloves, scalpel, triple antibiotic ointment, gauze, etc. I might have a self-adhesive wrap, but I don't know if it will be as good as Vetrap. It looks like Walmart carries it though. Now to talk my husband in to doing this so late....

From the pictures, can you tell if that is definitely bumblefoot? I'm afraid of digging around with a scalpel only to find she never had it. The first picture looks like it to me, but the other foot only has a very small black spot. I guess it will be clearer once I have her feet soaked & scrubbed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom