Bumblefoot, first time treating it

I've never seen bumblefoot as a long scab along the foot like that (not that I'm an expert and have seen lots of cases, but I've looked at a lot of posts on BYC). @Isaac 0 - do you think this is definitely bumble? Didn't you say that when you rescued her she had been stuck in the water and unable to get out? This makes me wonder if her foot shouldn't be bandaged constantly, unless there's an open wound of course. I don't know for sure, but my vet did tell me that a wet bandage is worse than no bandage at all. So maybe applying the iodine or meds and putting a bandage on at night when she will keep it dry is a good start - unless of course you've peeled back scab and raw skin might get infected. I've never dealt with the edge of the foot, but one thing I find works well in bandaging is to wrap the vet wrap around the foot and a wrap around the ankle, then come loosely over one side of the web in between two toes. I keep this loose so the webbing doesn't pull back when the duck walks. After you come between the toes, just continue to wrap around the foot and ankle to secure it. I just try to make sure my duck's foot is pretty flat so she can walk normally. If you want to see a picture I can post one tomorrow when I do my duck's foot, so you can see what I mean. Maybe you've already solved the issue!

I've never seen bumblefoot as a long scab along the foot like that (not that I'm an expert and have seen lots of cases, but I've looked at a lot of posts on BYC). @Isaac 0 - do you think this is definitely bumble? Didn't you say that when you rescued her she had been stuck in the water and unable to get out? This makes me wonder if her foot shouldn't be bandaged constantly, unless there's an open wound of course. I don't know for sure, but my vet did tell me that a wet bandage is worse than no bandage at all. So maybe applying the iodine or meds and putting a bandage on at night when she will keep it dry is a good start - unless of course you've peeled back scab and raw skin might get infected. I've never dealt with the edge of the foot, but one thing I find works well in bandaging is to wrap the vet wrap around the foot and a wrap around the ankle, then come loosely over one side of the web in between two toes. I keep this loose so the webbing doesn't pull back when the duck walks. After you come between the toes, just continue to wrap around the foot and ankle to secure it. I just try to make sure my duck's foot is pretty flat so she can walk normally. If you want to see a picture I can post one tomorrow when I do my duck's foot, so you can see what I mean. Maybe you've already solved the issue!

I wasn’t sure if it was Bumblefoot or not. When the scab was peeling a bit it looked like a long semi open wound under it. So have it wrapped right now. Going to check it in a bit and see how it’s doing.
I was wondering if it was actually Bumblefoot cause a couple of the smaller scabs fell off and it looked completely heeled under it. Either way her legs are getting stronger and she can move around much better

I've never seen anything similar to that, and it doesn't resemble Bumblefoot very much. Either way, I think it would be a good idea to keep treating the foot with ointment/iodine, soaking the foot, and bandaging. Ensure her play area is clean, not filled with excessive amounts of poop, and soft to avoid excessive pressure to her foot pads. Keep us updated on her condition.

I've never seen anything similar to that, and it doesn't resemble Bumblefoot very much. Either way, I think it would be a good idea to keep treating the foot with ointment/iodine, soaking the foot, and bandaging. Ensure her play area is clean, not filled with excessive amounts of poop, and soft to avoid excessive pressure to her foot pads. Keep us updated on her condition.

I have been keeping her isolated Today with that scab peeling along the side. I’d actually be happy if it winds up. It being not bumblefoot

I keep a good layer of straw for them in the pen so it’s nice and soft to walk on.

will keep you updated. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like you have a good treatment plan. Hopefully it's not bumblefoot and will just heal up with what you're doing. One way I have kept my ducks' bandages dry in the past was putting a plastic sandwich bag on top of the wrapping - although it can still get damp and humid inside so needs to be changed a couple times a day. In the end I think keeping them in an area as clean and dry as possible while bandaged with gauze covered by vet wrap seems to work pretty good.

Sounds like you have a good treatment plan. Hopefully it's not bumblefoot and will just heal up with what you're doing. One way I have kept my ducks' bandages dry in the past was putting a plastic sandwich bag on top of the wrapping - although it can still get damp and humid inside so needs to be changed a couple times a day. In the end I think keeping them in an area as clean and dry as possible while bandaged with gauze covered by vet wrap seems to work pretty good.

That’s what we have been trying to do. Part of the problem is her legs are jacked up and very thick. She could barely walk when we got her. They are getting better with some vitamin b supplements . But one of her feet isn’t spread out wide like a duck foot normally is. It all scrunched up. So the bandage slides off that foot easily.
But hopefully it will keep getting better

The long scab along her right foot fell off last night and she had an open sore all along the side of the foot under it. Treated it and bandaged it, thankfully the bandage stayed on all night and this is how it looked this morning. It’s mostly closed with just some new scab forming on the back end of it. Cleaned it and treated it and bandaged it again this morning and hoping it’s mostly healed by tomorrow
E9BE53FA-F25A-4894-AAFC-5B19136AC649.jpeg

The long scab along her right foot fell off last night and she had an open sore all along the side of the foot under it. Treated it and bandaged it, thankfully the bandage stayed on all night and this is how it looked this morning. It’s mostly closed with just some new scab forming on the back end of it. Cleaned it and treated it and bandaged it again this morning and hoping it’s mostly healed by tomorrowView attachment 2387931
Wow! That's looking much better!

Yeah there is a scab on the other foot that is starting to come off but I can’t keep a bandage on that one. Her leg is still swollen and her foot doesn’t spread out. It’s all scrunched together. I think it’s deformed so any bandage just slides off no matter how I tape it. So haven’t pulled that one off. Hoping the skin under it heals up so it’s closed when it falls off

Back
Top Bottom