bumblefoot gone too far?

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
Hi, all. Today I just noticed one of my barred rock girls hobbling around significantly. I'm not out as much these days due to having a newborn (my husband does chicken chores and isn't the most stellar with paying attention to detail, god love him) so I have no clue how long she's been like that. Her foot she is avoiding does look pretty swollen, along with her toes. her face on one side around her eye is also pretty puffed up. She just looks generally pretty rough. Haven't noticed any leakage or sneezing with it. Is this bumble foot that has gone too far or is it possibly two different issues? I have antibiotics I can give her but would rather not.

Can you get some photos of her, her face/eye and of the foot?
Sorry it was too hard to get the underneath of her foot, I was by myself.

Attachments

• D6857E30-0CDC-4B74-B2E8-5A8ACF4D249F.jpeg
    D6857E30-0CDC-4B74-B2E8-5A8ACF4D249F.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 6007B6C0-2079-484D-85AA-36CF7485C25D.jpeg
    6007B6C0-2079-484D-85AA-36CF7485C25D.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 5
Does she have any lice or mites?
The bubbles in the eye could be an indication of MG. I do see a few lumps on the side of her face too that may be from bug bites(?) hard to know about those. I'd look inside her ear (red arrow) for infection or bugs. Inside her beak for mucous or lesions.
If she's not in distress, then I'd first try cleaning the eye with saline and applying an eye ointment in the eye twice a day for a few days to see if that makes a difference. If not, then I'd give an oral antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin.

The foot issue, I'm sorry I can't tell much about that. Do look underneath her foot for a scab. She may have some debris stuck in the nooks/crannies of the foot, this can cause some swelling as well.
I don't see these being related to one another at this time, more coincidental.

1654659527597.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom