Bumblefoot Help!

Letty1

Chirping
Jun 24, 2022
My hen has Bumblefoot on the bottom of both her feet and on the bottom of her right middle toe. The Bumblefoot on her toe is the worst of the infections. I first discovered the toe Bumblefoot in May and began treating it soon after. In the middle of June, I went camping and wasn't able to treat her then. After camping I treated her toe twice this month. Today I discovered the infection had gotten much worse. My hen's entire toe is swollen and the area around the Bumblefoot looks terrible. The infection seems to have spread to the top of her toe as well. I pulled stuff out from the Bumblefoot on her feet and on her toe with tweezers, sprayed the wounds with Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care, applied Neosporin to each infection, and bandaged the feet and toe with gauze and vet wrap. Does anyone think the infection spread through her bone?
IMG_4870.jpg
IMG_4871.jpg

To me that looks extremely infected and seems to have gone to the bone, but I haven’t had chickens so I can’t say for sure. Epsom salt soaks along with betadine/application of prid will help get swelling down. But that looks like a pretty deep infection to me.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

How long was that toe wrapped before it was checked again?

If it were me, I'd try to dry the wound up. Swab and clean the toe with chlorhexidine, let that dry, then place her clean bedding or puppy pads. Do this daily for a few days and see if it starts healing up.

Keep us posted.

To me that looks extremely infected and seems to have gone to the bone, but I haven’t had chickens so I can’t say for sure. Epsom salt soaks along with betadine/application of prid will help get swelling down. But that looks like a pretty deep infection to me.

If it were me, I'd try to dry the wound up. Swab and clean the toe with chlorhexidine, let that dry, then place her clean bedding or puppy pads. Do this daily for a few days and see if it starts healing up.

Keep us posted.
I had the toe wrapped between treatments this month. I then had it unwrapped for four days before I checked it again. I ordered Betadine First Aid Solution and might buy Chlorhexidine and Prid Drawing Salve today. Do you think I should separate her from the flock?

Keep us posted.
I bought Betadine and Chlorhexidine. Do you know if it is safe to eat any eggs she might lay after use of these solutions?

Both are applied topically, so there shouldn't be an egg withdrawal period for either one of them.
If you or someone in your family is allergic to either product, then you may want to take care in applying them (use gloves or find an alternative treatment).

Both are applied topically, so there shouldn't be an egg withdrawal period for either one of them.
If you or someone in your family is allergic to either product, then you may want to take care in applying them (use gloves or find an alternative treatment).
Thanks for the advice about the eggs! Last night I treated her toe by soaking her feet in warm water with dissolved Epsom Salt for fifteen minutes, then I picked out more stuff from the main infected area, sprayed the wounds with Vetericyn, applied Chlorexidine, and added some Betadine. Finally, I put gauze on her and wrapped up the feet and toe. I'll try to show more pictures soon.

Thanks for the advice about the eggs! Last night I treated her toe by soaking her feet in warm water with dissolved Epsom Salt for fifteen minutes, then I picked out more stuff from the main infected area, sprayed the wounds with Vetericyn, applied Chlorexidine, and added some Betadine. Finally, I put gauze on her and wrapped up the feet and toe. I'll try to show more pictures soon.
That should make an improvement. I had a special needs chicken named Phoebe who had extremely severe Bumblefoot and lost a toe to it. My poor baby was so good during the surgery, and she learned how to scratch with only three toes on one foot.
RIP Phoebe

Here are pictures from yesterday's treatment. Would you say the infection is healing?
IMG_4893.jpg
IMG_4894.jpg

Back
Top Bottom