Bumblefoot in a toe? If so, what to do? If not what else? Sophie needs your help.

chickbliss

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Santa Ynez, CA
Sophie is a 5 month old Rode Island Red. She is healthy and growing, good feathers, red comb, clear eyes, eats and drinks normally. No sign that she is ready to lay eggs yet. She eats a combination of a commercial start and grow crumble and some lay crumble with a little cracked corn as a treat. She free ranges with the rest of the flock (one "sister" her own age, 4 older hens and a rooster). Everyone else is healthy.

A few weeks ago I noticed occasional mild limping, favoring her left foot. I checked her for injuries or signs of bumble foot, but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Watching her more closely, I noticed that her left foot "pinkie toe", the one that should point backwards, is mostly pointing forwards, although it occasionally flops into the correct backward pointing position. I figured this was causing the limping, and kept an eye on her.

I know of nothing that caused the limping to start.

In the last week, the limping has become worse. She can no longer remain stable on the coop perches (2x4s with the wide part up) and has been sleeping on the coop floor (sand) for the last two nights. She moves around, but seems to have lost control of her left foot. She can move her leg to walk, but the foot just flops.

When I examined her this evening, her good right foot was able to grip my fingers strongly. The bad left foot doesn't grip at all, and feels cool but not cold.

I can move her bad foot and articulate the joints; it's not stiff. The tendon is in the correct location running up the back of her leg. There is no swelling in any joint.

The only new strangeness I can see is a darkening of that sometimes forward facing left pinkie toe.

Could bumblefoot be in a toe, not just that foot pad? If so, could that be the problem?

If not, what else could it be?

I plan to soak her foot tomorrow in an epsom salt bath with betadine, mostly because it can't hurt and might help.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks for any and all advice or ideas.
IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg
IMG_4265.jpg
IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4273.jpg

Can you get a video of her walking?

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-post-videos.1588870/post-27000676

You mention the foot flops around? Is it broken?
Thanks for the link.
Here are videos of her walking, or trying to. She is in an isolation cage with her sister so the "big girls" won't chase her.

I don't think it's broken, I've felt up and down the leg, can't feel anything wrong
What I'm calling "flopping" is how she seems to throw her bad foot in front of her as she tries to walk, instead of picking it up and putting it down.

If you can have an Xray that would be best.

I'd examine the leg again for a break and feel the joint to see if the tendon is slipped.
I'd lean toward injury the way she's moving, but it's possible that something like Marek's disease is at play.

You can try stabilizing the leg to see if that helps. Splinting is and restricting her movement. You'll need to check splinting/wrappings daily to make sure they are not too tight and there's good blood flow.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I'd also see that she's eating her chick starter really well and give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Back
Top Bottom