Hey yall I texted my vet and he was concerned for Munchkin. He said all ducks react to medications differently, and clearly the oral medications are not cutting it for my girl. He said a topical ointment would be our best bet now. He said to use Chlorhexidine. He said to pick up a rinse and a cream to use. The funny thing is...my brother just got his wisdom teeth out and he has a bottle of Chlorhexidine for a mouth rinse. So should I just swipe some of his? Or try to get something else? Does anyone know of what to use? I have no clue. He said if I'm not sure he could probably get me some...which I might just go that route.....I just wanted more opinions. Thanks!

Yes this is. I have searched and called a trillion avian vets. I have only heard that they wont take new patients or it will be weeks and weeks or months out or its a million dollars for a visit. Frankly I dont have that much money to spend on this duck. I hate to say it but its the truth :idunno :hit😞 The vet seemed concerned and said he hopes we can get her backup and running again. He has worked on ducks with bumblefoot before, as he has told me. This is what I can do for her right now. I wish I could get her another vet but thats just not possible at the moment. I was willing to get a vet out....But they wont take new patients..... :hit 😭

Can you take the duck in to the vet and can he surgically remove the infection? And just to be clear, you now have two ducks who both have severe cases of bumblefoot?

Based on a cursory internet search, it seems like the Chlorhexidine could work and I don’t see any reason you couldn’t use some of the rinse your brother already has, except that he may end up needing to use all of it. You should definitely check with your vet about dosage, application, frequency—try and take all of this guesswork out of the equation.

Hey everyone so my babies in quarantine have been miserable and now have plugged oil glands. I finally unwrapped her foot today and we let them out with the other ducks for a bit. Maybe this was a mistake but they cant stay in the quarantine coop anymore and they need to swim. They are really water logged and muddy now since they havent been swimming and I'm afraid they will get cold now. I plan to get them a warm bath right after they come out of the ditch. idk what to do anymore. her foot is the same and they are both going to get more sick in the small coop we made for them...we can only do so much for them but I feel bad still...we will have to put them in with the rest of the birds so they dont freeze. It is 38 degrees Fahrenheit here

Hey everyone so my babies in quarantine have been miserable and now have plugged oil glands. I finally unwrapped her foot today and we let them out with the other ducks for a bit. Maybe this was a mistake but they cant stay in the quarantine coop anymore and they need to swim. They are really water logged and muddy now since they havent been swimming and I'm afraid they will get cold now. I plan to get them a warm bath right after they come out of the ditch. idk what to do anymore. her foot is the same and they are both going to get more sick in the small coop we made for them...we can only do so much for them but I feel bad still...we will have to put them in with the rest of the birds so they dont freeze. It is 38 degrees Fahrenheit here
When I was treating my Runner, I brought them ALL in for a swim in the bathtub right before I changed her bandages. That way I knew the water was clean and she got some time in the water.

They will recover. I've read that if you wash them with soap and dry them off before taking them back out, it will encourage preening. It's like a "do over," but you can't let them swim for a few days immediately following their baths.

Back
Top Bottom