Keep us updated! Sounds like you are definitely on the right track!
Thank you SO much for your help!!! All of you! This had been super difficult for me and this really helped!!!!! Also......I have to split a capsule of meds between my ducks...and its super hard to get any down them....last night failed with a syringe.... any ideas on how to get it down them? I even tried grapes...

Thank you SO much for your help!!! All of you! This had been super difficult for me and this really helped!!!!! Also......I have to split a capsule of meds between my ducks...and its super hard to get any down them....last night failed with a syringe.... any ideas on how to get it down them? I even tried grapes...
I find syringe for ducks isn't too difficult. I have to be pretty firm with them.

Some people have said bread, but I know bread isn't good for them, so I've not tried it. Maybe mashed peas???

I find syringe for ducks isn't too difficult. I have to be pretty firm with them.

Some people have said bread, but I know bread isn't good for them, so I've not tried it. Maybe mashed peas???
I tried treats and bread although I know its not good for them.... it doesn't work.... I'll try with the new syringes I bought.

Wish I had a sure fire strategy. 😕
I got most of it down them!!! Yeah sure a bit spilled, but they got it mostly. I was sure to be slow so they don't aspirate and put the syringe to the side of their mouths. It was a fight and a 2 person job, but it worked! I'm a bit more at peace with it now cuz I know I got it down them. I have been constantly worrying about them and have not been able to focus. I'm still quite worried but at least I know I did the most I could for now. I've given them a much better chance than some people would. Munchkin seems to be maybe the slightest bit improved, she isnt quivering much anymore, but her wings are twitching a lot....shes breathing harder sometimes but it might just be her working hard and struggling to escape me 'torturing' her. Since ya know soaking her and not letting her drink epsom salts and then flushing her wound is torture. 😅 Any ideas on what the wing twitching is? I also found a redish bump on her wing....im concerned about that and am not sure what to do. Could a pic help? Thanks again for the help!!! I cant tell you how lost I'd be without it!!!

I got most of it down them!!! Yeah sure a bit spilled, but they got it mostly. I was sure to be slow so they don't aspirate and put the syringe to the side of their mouths. It was a fight and a 2 person job, but it worked! I'm a bit more at peace with it now cuz I know I got it down them. I have been constantly worrying about them and have not been able to focus. I'm still quite worried but at least I know I did the most I could for now. I've given them a much better chance than some people would. Munchkin seems to be maybe the slightest bit improved, she isnt quivering much anymore, but her wings are twitching a lot....shes breathing harder sometimes but it might just be her working hard and struggling to escape me 'torturing' her. Since ya know soaking her and not letting her drink epsom salts and then flushing her wound is torture. 😅 Any ideas on what the wing twitching is? I also found a redish bump on her wing....im concerned about that and am not sure what to do. Could a pic help? Thanks again for the help!!! I cant tell you how lost I'd be without it!!!
Glad you got it down them! I find that just putting the syringe near their bills works for me. If I have a decent enough hold of their head, I just wait until the start nibbling at the syringe. Then I just squirt it in their mouths and hold their heads still so they can't shake it all out - lol!

Pics of the bump on her wing would help. Might be an infected feather/follicle. Or it might be an abscess.

I have no idea about the wing twitching. My ducks twitch their wings after they have a swim. Is that the kind of twitching you mean? It might be because she just soaked and thinks she's been swimming - haha!

Glad you got it down them! I find that just putting the syringe near their bills works for me. If I have a decent enough hold of their head, I just wait until the start nibbling at the syringe. Then I just squirt it in their mouths and hold their heads still so they can't shake it all out - lol!

Pics of the bump on her wing would help. Might be an infected feather/follicle. Or it might be an abscess.

I have no idea about the wing twitching. My ducks twitch their wings after they have a swim. Is that the kind of twitching you mean? It might be because she just soaked and thinks she's been swimming - haha!
Cool! I'll try to get a pic tmr. Well idk...she seems to be twitching constantly and her mate who is living with her in our horse trailer (our quarantine setup) he isnt doing it. idk if it could be a parasite, or maybe shes just in pain? I just hope the antibiotics help kinda everything.

Amoxicillin is not the best drug for bumblefoot. I have used it before with no success. A far more knowledgeable BYCer told me that often bumblefoot is resistant to amoxicillin. That may not be the case for you, but I would recommend ordering some baytril, generically called enrofloxacin. You can order it without a prescription.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

This is what I use for a waterer. It keeps the mess down a lot so they can't get into it as much and make a big mess.

PXL_20210924_153707711.jpg

Since your vet is not knowledgeable about birds, I would either see another vet if you can. He sounds pretty useless when it comes to birds.

Amoxicillin is not the best drug for bumblefoot. I have used it before with no success. A far more knowledgeable BYCer told me that often bumblefoot is resistant to amoxicillin. That may not be the case for you, but I would recommend ordering some baytril, generically called enrofloxacin. You can order it without a prescription.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

This is what I use for a waterer. It keeps the mess down a lot so they can't get into it as much and make a big mess.

View attachment 2874255

Since your vet is not knowledgeable about birds, I would either see another vet if you can. He sounds pretty useless when it comes to birds.
Ok thanks so much! Yeah I mostly got the Amoxicillin to help with the illness the two ducks seem to have on top of Munchkins bumblefoot. I'm not sure exactly what it is but their eyes are red and they kinda shake/quiver and Munchkin is twitching her wings. If this doesnt clear it up, I'll look into an avian vet. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom