Bumblefoot nodules outcome - veterinarian biopsy/lancing/analysis

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
She said the nodules represented the body's response to a previous bacterial assault and that the previous event would leave a core inside the nodule that may or MAY NOT ever turn into an infection. In essence it was inactive or dormant, which was my theory as well, after doing some research. My duck was not limping, there was no redness and there was nothing swollen. Nodules are not an active state of swelling, at least not MY duck's nodules.

Soooo, curious to see what monster was inside my duck's foot, agreed to let her do surgery on his feet. I asked to watch but she said she would take a picture of the "past infection" that she takes out. The core.

So when I picked up my duck, I asked for the picture and she said, and I quote, "Well AMAZINGLY enough, we didn't get ANYTHING out of all those nodules to take a picture of". :th :th:th

So not only were they NOT infected, there was no evidence of the prior infection. No core. I believe that a healthy duck showing no signs of infection gives you have time to manage those thickened nodules and hopefully prevent them from activating.

Sadly, we cannot figure out why he had so many, when his gal is from the same flock and has perfect feet. The vet says HE looks to be in perfect health.

He is currently in my pantry recuperating.

Attachments

• Mr Cocoa after surgery 1.jpg
    Mr Cocoa after surgery 1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
She said the nodules represented the body's response to a previous bacterial assault and that the previous event would leave a core inside the nodule that may or MAY NOT ever turn into an infection. In essence it was inactive or dormant, which was my theory as well, after doing some research. My duck was not limping, there was no redness and there was nothing swollen. Nodules are not an active state of swelling, at least not MY duck's nodules.

Soooo, curious to see what monster was inside my duck's foot, agreed to let her do surgery on his feet. I asked to watch but she said she would take a picture of the "past infection" that she takes out. The core.

So when I picked up my duck, I asked for the picture and she said, and I quote, "Well AMAZINGLY enough, we didn't get ANYTHING out of all those nodules to take a picture of". :th :th:th

So not only were they NOT infected, there was no evidence of the prior infection. No core. I believe that a healthy duck showing no signs of infection gives you have time to manage those thickened nodules and hopefully prevent them from activating.

Sadly, we cannot figure out why he had so many, when his gal is from the same flock and has perfect feet. The vet says HE looks to be in perfect health.

This is so interesting! We're currently dealing with a case. The duck (Lucy Goose, a three-year old silver Appleyard) presented with no signs of lameness or pain at all, but the lump was larger than anything we have seen. We started in with soaks immediately and began trying to pick at it and remove the scab to get the core out. No real luck and no real reduction in the size, so we went to the vet. She was unable to get anything out either. It's now been a week since, and Lucy is on antibiotics and still getting soaks 2x/day (wound is fully scabbed over again). Lucy did have a case of bumblefoot in 2018, but that resolved.

This is so interesting! We're currently dealing with a case. The duck (Lucy Goose, a three-year old silver Appleyard) presented with no signs of lameness or pain at all, but the lump was larger than anything we have seen. We started in with soaks immediately and began trying to pick at it and remove the scab to get the core out. No real luck and no real reduction in the size, so we went to the vet. She was unable to get anything out either. It's now been a week since, and Lucy is on antibiotics and still getting soaks 2x/day (wound is fully scabbed over again). Lucy did have a case of bumblefoot in 2018, but that resolved.
Thanks for sharing...good to know that your vet visit produced nothing as well.

Now we know not all bumblefoot nodules need to be lanced.

My duck had 5 or 6 and the Vet really didn't offer me any "good" reason that one duck would have that many. My duck is lightweight and his plumage and skin are beautiful, according to the vet. Deficiencies normally show in the skin or feathers. Mine is in the pool or walking on soft grass all the time. Hard to change anything when you don't know what to change.

Thanks for sharing...good to know that your vet visit produced nothing as well.

Now we know not all bumblefoot nodules need to be lanced.

My duck had 5 or 6 and the Vet really didn't offer me any "good" reason that one duck would have that many. My duck is lightweight and his plumage and skin are beautiful, according to the vet. Deficiencies normally show in the skin or feathers. Mine is in the pool or walking on soft grass all the time. Hard to change anything when you don't know what to change.
Yes. Our Lucy is overall in very good shape as well. The bumble is large, however, but, as the vet said, it's almost more like a very large skin tag now. Keep us posted.

Firstly - he's super handsome.

Secondly - great foot wrapping !!

Lastly - thank you for the insight.

He's a handsome boy!!!

I don't know if y'all recall my baby girl having nodules, but she's had them for well over a year and our vet has told us that since they weren't bother her, nor were they inflamed and infected, we could just keep an eye on them (one is larger than I'd like, but no changes).

And as with your boy, the other birds have never shown signs of bumblefoot. This makes me feel a bit better if I don't have to have them removed but I'm wondering if I still should. Either way, thank you so much for sharing!

He's a handsome boy!!!

I don't know if y'all recall my baby girl having nodules, but she's had them for well over a year and our vet has told us that since they weren't bother her, nor were they inflamed and infected, we could just keep an eye on them (one is larger than I'd like, but no changes).

And as with your boy, the other birds have never shown signs of bumblefoot. This makes me feel a bit better if I don't have to have them removed but I'm wondering if I still should. Either way, thank you so much for sharing!
We're still in pretty much the same situation with Goose.

Back
Top Bottom