Bumblefoot on one toe? How to treat?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
My chicken seems to have a swollen toe. I think she could have bumblefoot on just one hind toe. I took out the core of it, but some antibiotics on, and then wrapped it up. Here's a picture of it before. I apologize for the bad quality. Anything else I should do?

My chicken seems to have a swollen toe. I think she could have bumblefoot on just one hind toe. I took out the core of it, but some antibiotics on, and then wrapped it up. Here's a picture of it before. I apologize for the bad quality. Anything else I should do?
I just got back from the vet because I noticed one if my girls starting to get it and they gave me beta dine solution to soak her feet in but it's not as bad of a case as yours, if it doesn't get better taking her to the vet might be a good option.

Oh your poor chicken! That looks painful.

I'm having wonderful luck using a concoction of sugar and benedine salve. You mix together enough benedine in sugar to make a sort of paste- not too runny, not too dry. Then apply the salve on the infected area and some of the surrounding parts. Use a gauze pad, or medical pad and cover it, then wrap it (not too tight) with either gauze wrap or cloth medical wrap. Seal it with duct tape (or use vet wrap). Leave it on for 24 hours, then take it off and wrap it up again the same way. Do this for at least three days in a row. You can continue if it is working. Not all bumblefoot remedies work for every situation. There is also something about TricideNeo (a fish medication) which can be used... you can search for it on the boards here. There is also what Wyorp Rock said too... that works as well and was what my vet recommended for my hen. It worked for her, but not for my rooster who is responding wonderfully to the sugar/benedine option.

Oh, do wash the foot off before you bandage it up. I like to soak my chicken's feet in epsom salts for a few minutes before wrapping them. Make sure the bandage is not too tight either. Oh and if you decide to use the salve as spoken about above, then do make sure you cover that whole toe and then up a little more. I see some redness up at the top joint there- infection there too. So don't just get the worst parts... expand the treatment area a bit.

Best wishes to you.

Back
Top Bottom