1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot or just a scab?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelsigall, Jun 6, 2016.

1. kelsigall

kelsigall Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    One of my chickens had a seemingly classic bumblefoot scab on her foot however no limping or swelling. We prepared for surgery. Cut off the scab expecting a kernel or pus but nothing! it was just pinkish healthy looking fat/tissue. We poked and prodded but nothing came out. Sprayed vetericyn on it and wrapped her up. Has anyone else come across this? Was it just a scab all along? Hopefully attaching a picture of the scab, didnt get one during surgery unfortunately.[​IMG]

2. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2013
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Yes sometimes there's just nothing under there. If the area is hot or redness with swelling it needs prompt attention. Otherwise I would suggest to disinfect the area under the scab that was removed, apply polysporin to a piece of gauze placed over the hole and secure with vetwrap. Change the bandage in 3 days and after a few repeats she should be good!
    I am of the school that believes bumblefoot can be treated without surgery. Softening up the foot pad with a wrap for at least a week will allow you to manipulate the access manually, pullout the scab and often drain the abscess. Keeping the area completely clean with gauze, polysporin and vetwrap is key

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by