Bumblefoot or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kathyb2, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I have had chickens for 12 years and never had one get bumblefoot so I have zero experience with it. I had a rooster that was limping and sitting alot. I thought it was bumblefoot so I purchased what I needed to treat it. I didn't actually look at the bottom his foot until I went to treat it. His foot is alittle swollen but no scab and not red. It does not look like the pics I have seen of bumblefoot. No bubble full of puss or anything that looks like a wound. Should I be treating it or just leave it and see if he gets better.

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If you could post a picture it would be helpful.
    With no other info to go on I'd probably just watch him and see if it gets better.
    It's possible that he just 'tweaked' it doing his rooster stuff. If he has long spurs I'd trim them.

3. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    His spurs are really long. Would that make him limp?

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Possibly,He could if twisted a muscle i would give him some baby aspirin to reduce pain

5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Long spurs can catch on things and make them awkward, which would increase the chance of hurting a leg or foot.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by