Bumblefoot or something else

Tomchea

Chirping
Jul 5, 2023
I have a hen that has started to have a slight limp, upon examining her foot there was what appeared to be a scab thinking it was probably Bumblefoot I removed the scab but her foot was very clean with no signs of pus or redness, however the pad appears to be somewhat swollen. Tonight I soaked her foot in epson salt water and tried to get something out of it but still nothing, also there are no spots that feel hard to the touch on the pad of her foot. Would bumble foot feel hard? Unfortunately I cannot get any pictures to post as I am only able to treat her at night because she is VERY flighty and you can’t get near her in the day light:( I just don’t know how to proceed and don’t want to keep poking and prodding if it’s not Bumblefoot, but don’t want to leave it if it is. Any help is appreciated, I just want to help my poor girl.

If you could try to get photos at night with a headlamp, that would really help to get a clearer diagnosis, because foot swelling can come from other issues. If that really isn't possible, I would just treat it like a non advanced case of bumblefoot and see how that goes. Let me know if the info in this thread is helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injured-foot.1572220/#post-26704254
Thanks so much! My girls foot is swollen, but there is no redness at all. There was a scab that we removed, and it was very clean underneath I have been treating her as you would, with Bumblefoot in hopes that that will help, it does seem to be making an improvement as she was not limping this morning. I will try to get pictures tonight. Thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom