Bumblefoot or swollen foot?

cheeri

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
My dad has a month and 14 day old chickie, she was fine this morning but I found her limping in the afternoon. The bottom of her foot is warm/hot and swollen. It's also hot all the way to her leg.. I'm not sure what caused it. I forgot to mention, the bottom pic is the limping leg.
20191114_155741.jpg

The other leg has a black dot on the bottom and I'm thinking that it might be bumblefoot. I'm thinking it could've been her toe thats poking it.
20191114_155809.jpg

Last edited:
Is the back toe broken or is that just its resting position? I can see what you mean by it possibly causing the cut. With bumblefoot, you treat it like a splinter - have a good dig and see if you can get the foreign object out. If there doesn't seem to be anything in there, it could just be infected from walking around on an open wound outdoors.
Once it's clean, use an antibiotic ointment without pain-killer and wrap it up.

Ok, since she is so young I can’t imagine Bumblefoot already, it usually comes from walk-in on hard surface for awhile...but I could be wrong...I would say it’s from that toenail growing right into it. If it were my bird...I’d first clip the nail, then treat the wound..soak in Epsom salts..then some triple antibiotic cream ..2x2 square bandage for protection and then wrap with tape loosely between toes..changing daily...or you could spray with blu kote first then do the cream and bandages. As for the other one...soak it too. You have to see if she just stepped wrong, strained. It, and happens too be at same time....soaking should help...try to not let her drink water...just use enough for her feet,and put her in a bucket...this is what I would do...maybe others have better advice

Is the back toe broken or is that just its resting position? I can see what you mean by it possibly causing the cut. With bumblefoot, you treat it like a splinter - have a good dig and see if you can get the foreign object out. If there doesn't seem to be anything in there, it could just be infected from walking around on an open wound outdoors.
Once it's clean, use an antibiotic ointment without pain-killer and wrap it up.

The feet with the back toe is in resting position. She was born with curled toes and we were scared we might break that toe if we straighten that one out.
And thank you so much for replying!

That is bumble foot the second one the black dot soak in warm water you can work the scab off need to get the hard kernel inside out then use some triple antibiotic on it keep bandaged a few days changing it each day

The feet with the back toe is in resting position. She was born with curled toes and we were scared we might break that toe if we straighten that one out.
And thank you so much for replying!
Ok, if’s in resting position, clearly that’s going to be an issue...I would splint it...while it’s healing, because no use having it heal just to be reopened...can you get or make a tiny stick...cut a skewer for shush kabobs...and wrap it as straight out as you can...a little at at a time if it won’t go..and perhaps use some tape as leverage and tie some up to the leg. Perhaps it will help it to grow in the right position. Once again, maybe others have a better idea...but that’s what I would do

Vet wrap is really good for splinting - it's rigid and sticks to itself. That and a splint as Duckfarmer1 suggested should help with training the back toe into the proper position.
Silkie toes are a bit of an enigma as they generally stick out to the side instead of straight back and that one looks to be a cross considering the lack of feathered feet and the smaller fifth toes which may be contributing to the odd placement. It definitely needs to be remedied in some manner since it's already causing you grief.

they sell generic vet wrap on amazon..does the same thing for a fraction of the price...and you’ll need it with animals. I forget the name but look up generic vet wrap and it’ll come up..I got 12 5’ rolls for $10—2” wide...great deal

Back
Top Bottom