Bumblefoot procedure that avoids surgery?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
My coturnix quail has bumblefoot. There is a large scab under his feet. So basically I have to cut off that scab with a scalpel and apply antibiotic ointment and wrap his foot with gauze?

Is there any other alternative treatment that doesn’t involve painful surgery to my quail?

Yes, there are alternatives. Many people do an Epsom salt soak, then apply something that can kill staph (iodine, tea tree oil and various other essential oils, colloidal silver, Neosporin, etc.), then wrap it, and repeat for several days. Eventually the scab should come loose and fall out on its own. I had fairly good results with this method with my duck. It may not work on very advanced bumblefoot.

We treated two of our hens this fall for bumblefoot. We wiped down their feet with iodine. Then got a dental pick to remove the core. They didn’t seem to feel anything! Just make sure you are only picking at the infected tissue. After wr got all the core out we flushed the foot with saline and bandaged. I changed their bandages daily for five days then every second day for another week.

My coturnix quail has bumblefoot. There is a large scab under his feet. So basically I have to cut off that scab with a scalpel and apply antibiotic ointment and wrap his foot with gauze?

Is there any other alternative treatment that doesn’t involve painful surgery to my quail?
PRID salve from Amazon fixed bumble foot in my cortunix quail in a few days.

PRID salve from Amazon fixed bumble foot in my cortunix quail in a few days.
Did you just use the PRID and the scab came off on its own or did you have to remove it? Last night I noticed one of our chickens has bumble foot and we applied the PRID salve. Not sure what to do next though.

Back
Top Bottom