Bumblefoot Questions

DoulaLiz

Hatching
May 17, 2015
I had a hen whose foot got stepped on, we assumed it was broken and we couldn't do a whole lot about that. She continued to get around fine and started putting more pressure, then it started to swell really big and red, but this was months later. Well I determined it had to be bumble foot. There were not 1 spot,but 3 that I had to cut our. It was not fun, but I did it with the help of my husband. We wrapped, soaked and applied triple antibiotic ointment every two days and she healed up pretty nicely.

Well, now it looks like several of our chickens have it, I am not 100% sure, but they have the same sore/burn/scab on the bottom of their feet. We do not want to do surgery or soak every day for x amount of days. What should be done? If we aren't going to treat do they have to be dispatched? I was originally going to sell off part of our flock to downsize a little, this puts a hold on things quick.

We have been eating the eggs as well as a friend of ours. Are we at risk of staph infection or other illnesses?
Thank you all in advance!

Back
Top Bottom