Bumblefoot recovery

Heathermbm

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Northeast, NC, USA
We did a bumble foot surgery on one of out chickens feet. And this is about 4-5 (originally went in on Sunday and went back in to make sure we got everything on Monday—today being friday) days later…it’s less red and less swollen but still a bit puffy. Is it healing okay? Do we need to do anything else?

This is our first time doing this.
4BE0A5E9-30C7-4774-AD7B-83C00D16D335.jpeg
F9B3BD32-BB36-42E9-868A-14396BF41611.jpeg
B8FA7C1D-E50F-46AE-9D50-21BA95C05BCC.jpeg

Last edited:
To me that is iffy. When I have had to open a bumble up on my chickens it's inevitable I have to go back and get the rest of the infection out, that didn't come out the first time.
You can give it a few more days And take the wait and see approach. It's usually close to a week before I go back just to give the wound time to get over the trauma. Then I can usually tell by redness and puffiness there is something still in there.
Maybe @Eggcessive has a better approach?

Last edited:
To me that is iffy. When I have had to open a bumble up on my chickens it's inevitable I have to go back and get the rest of the infection out, that didn't come out the first time.
You can give it a few more days And take the wait and see approach. It's usually close to a week before I go back just to give the wound time to get over the trauma. Then I can usually tell by redness and puffiness there is something still in there.
Maybe @Eggcessive has a better approach?
Thank you. I think we will wait and see. It’s not red just a little puffy. I would like to try to avoid opening it again and risking another infection.

Back
Top Bottom