Bumblefoot surgery meets my eye...

chickenladyx4

Hatching
May 16, 2015
I was treating my chicken's bumble-foot today. It was hot and infected. I was just finishing up and decided to give it one more squeeze before I wrapped it and it squirted blood in my eye. I normally don't worry, but I can't help but be scared about this! I flushed my eye - would anyone else worry or just let it be?

Last edited:
I would flush my eye several times for a while. I would be concerned about getting an infection more than anything else. You can get nasty eye infection from getting that in your eye. I doubt you will catch anything else from the chicken other than infection in the eye. I cannot think of any disease that is like you could catch from people's blood. I would not worry too much. I bet you have good immune system and you might not even catch eye infection from it. Lets see if someone else knows something more about this and replies.

Welcome to BYC. If you flushed your eye right away, I think everything will be fine. Normally, bumblefoot infection shows itself as a yellow in color chunk of infection. I'm sure you've read that it appears to look like a kernal of corn.
If you notice anything out the ordinary regarding your eye, or feeling weak or feverish...time to go to the ER or get an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. Good luck.

I think vision is something you can't take for granted. Even though you flushed your eye, I would still call an eye doctor and ask if there is something you can put in your eye drops or ointment that might prevent infection.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
Oh no, that is awful. Please take care and be careful next time. :hugs

I did wear gloves, I just never thought it would get as far as my eye! I've been flushing my eye and my local vet said if it didn't become irritated by morning he wouldn't worry about it. Still, hard not to be worried about something like your sight!

Welcome to BYC. If you flushed your eye right away, I think everything will be fine. Normally, bumblefoot infection shows itself as a yellow in color chunk of infection. I'm sure you've read that it appears to look like a kernal of corn.
If you notice anything out the ordinary regarding your eye, or feeling weak or feverish...time to go to the ER or get an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. Good luck.
Welcome to BYC! x2, the bacteria causing Bumblefoot, staphyoloccus aureus, is closely related to the bacteria causing MRSA.

Back
Top Bottom