Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Holy cow guys, I pulled out a bumble today that I really should have photographed. It all came out in one piece, huge at the bottom and more narrow at top, like a tooth. It left a hole that I could see through from the top of my girl's foot. Ibdont know how I am ever going to touch food again, I can't believe I didn't hurl. Thanks for the wisdom, I couldn't have done it without this thread.
Oh, it hurt alright. Chickens just do not express pain in the way we do or in the way we are accustomed to seeing other animals react. It's a survival instinct so as not to draw attention to themselves from predators.

Nice work on the surgery! The trick is to keep it clean now to avoid another infection. This is how I accomplish that: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Tehe, I think you read my "hurl" as in puke, as hurt. It was defenately a bother to the poor girl. Thanks for the link, thats how I do their feet, and she's in a clean seperate place until she's 100% since the others love to pick off vetwrap.

Last edited:
Tehe, I think you read my "hurl" as in puke, as hurt. It was defenately a bother to the poor girl. Thanks for the link, thats how I do their feet, and she's in a clean seperate place until she's 100% since the others love to pick off vetwrap.
thumbsup.gif

Great Photos! Thank you! I was wondering what the heck was up with my FAT hen. She's actually just very large. Your photo shows just exactly what my girls foot looks like. Actually two feet. She's the only one who's had this problem. I treated her once and it came back. Sigh... Here's a pix of her foot. Poor baby. She's "Honey", a Copper Maran / Buff Wyandotte mix who lays the most lovely Copper colored eggs...

That's the Left Foot.... I have not attempted getting it off yet.

Here's the Right foot... I did dislodge the mass off of it. Then soaked her one more time in Epsom Salts for 20 mins. It didn't bleed too much. I did not see an inner mass in the raw spot after the scabby crud was cut off. It just had a big Dent left.

Thank you for your post. You are so brave...

Gin-

Hello i have noticed my hen slightly limping and her foot is swollen, could this be bumblefoot? if it is when i do the surgery will the hole where i cut out the scab heal itself is there any specific medicine i should get?

thank you. i just shared this link with friends at 'la basse cour' who might have a case of bumblefoot.
the images help me a great deal. well done, thank you for taking the effort to share it with us.

thank you. i just shared this link with friends at 'la basse cour' who might have a case of bumblefoot.
the images help me a great deal. well done, thank you for taking the effort to share it with us.

Hi! I'll go over there and check it out..I'm a member also.

Back
Top Bottom