Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
No it has closed up and that's what confuses me. It's not even bandaged anymore. She acts like it hurts to put it down. I'm thinking it must still have a kernel inside maybe?

Oh. Well, could be. I would still put that iodine/sugar poultice on it for a day or two, then unwrap it and see whats under the scab. That poultice works good for softing up that scab and removing it. Bigbird says it also helps to draw down infection.

Epsom salts is not sodium chloride. It's good for soaking swelling, boils, wounds, etc. It even has some antibiotic properties that you can use it instead of antibiotic ointment. It may have a slight sting at first but really nothing much.
I think there's quite a few poultices that work, not just this one. My vet used to prescribe "sugardine" poultice for my horse. It was sugar and betadine. I'm not sure that iodine should be used. It might be too harsh.

" The salts come from a material in the earth called dolomite, which is rich in magnesium sulfate. The compound came by the name of Epsom

salt because the material was distilled from waters near Epsom, England. The "salt" part of the name refers to the chemical structure of the compound. Epsom salt has many uses, but as...."

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5690666_use-epsom-salt-wound-care.html

Last edited:
Seminolewind...where do you get your pen G? I saw my breda roo laying down today and when I checked on him I almost fainted. His feet are swollen horribly. The tips of two toes are gone. He has some bad infection going on. I have NO clue what has happened. There are a couple if blister looking spots on some toes as well. He may also have some bumblefoot started but the other outweighs that for now....unless the infection is secondary from that? The bumbles don't look bad at all...but the toes are horrid. Poor boy. I soaked him in Epsom and then in a betadine water soak and slathered neosporin on although I know that is not going to be sufficient.

Seminolewind...where do you get your pen G? I saw my breda roo laying down today and when I checked on him I almost fainted. His feet are swollen horribly. The tips of two toes are gone. He has some bad infection going on. I have NO clue what has happened. There are a couple if blister looking spots on some toes as well. He may also have some bumblefoot started but the other outweighs that for now....unless the infection is secondary from that? The bumbles don't look bad at all...but the toes are horrid. Poor boy. I soaked him in Epsom and then in a betadine water soak and slathered neosporin on although I know that is not going to be sufficient.
Could he have been bitten by something venomous?

I don't think so. It's both feet. I am pretty confident it is an infection. I wonder if he injured his toes in a fight with another rooster. They tied up and I quit letting the other one out but I never check his feet. I've been dealing with the WFBS and their bumblefoot for the last few weeks and had not noticed him. No clue how long its been festering. His feet are heavily feathered...even his toes.

Last edited:

Sounds bad bad! Jeffers has pen g injectable. I use 23 g needles and thin it .2 ml of sterile saline (they must sell that too ), otherwise you need a larger gauge needle (21 or 19)

Yea, I would have him on abx. You may want to poultice to draw any infection out as well. I use the Epsom paste, but I have also used Epsom salts in water, soak a gauze soppy wet and but a plastic back over his foot and tape well, leave on every night and see if things are better in maybe 3 days of that.

Oh, BTW, Rural King has it, and Tractor supply might.

Last edited:
Epsom salts is not sodium chloride.  It's good for soaking swelling, boils, wounds, etc.  It even has some antibiotic properties that you can use it instead of antibiotic ointment.  It may have a slight sting at first but really nothing much. 
I think there's quite a few poultices that work, not just this one.  My vet used to prescribe "sugardine" poultice for my horse.  It was sugar and betadine.  I'm not sure that iodine should be used.  It might be too harsh.

" The salts come from a material in the earth called dolomite, which is rich in magnesium sulfate. The compound came by the name of Epsom

salt because the material was distilled from waters near Epsom, England. The "salt" part of the name refers to the chemical structure of the compound. Epsom salt has many uses, but as...."

Read more : [COLOR=0066CC]http://www.ehow.com/how_5690666_use-epsom-salt-wound-care.html[/COLOR]

Well, that's good to know!

Actually, I think I have been using betadine. It's the same stuff the hospital gave my husband to put on his surgery wound. For some reason I always call it iodine. :p

Hmm...I wonder if Bigbird meant betadine or iodine.

Back
Top Bottom