Bumblefoot surgery

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Well I got the scab out but I don't think I got it all out. The foot never deflated and I feel that there's still a mass inside. We sanitized and wrapped up her foot but I think I need to go back in it tomorrow. Should I feel a mass still in her foot? I was afraid I might just be getting flesh out. I also squeezed her foot and it wasn't coming out. I do know getting the scab out is only part of the surgery. Am I suppose to take a mass out?

I could never get anything out of my hen's bumblefoot, either, no pus or anything. I ended up having to take her to the vet, anyway, for another issue and was given antiseptic footwash and Bayril, both of which were working.

I know people have had luck using tissue punches.

I am using Tricide Neo. You can buy it online. It is a bumble foot soak. Read about it on BYC. Good luck.

Well I got the scab out but I don't think I got it all out. The foot never deflated and I feel that there's still a mass inside. We sanitized and wrapped up her foot but I think I need to go back in it tomorrow. Should I feel a mass still in her foot? I was afraid I might just be getting flesh out. I also squeezed her foot and it wasn't coming out. I do know getting the scab out is only part of the surgery. Am I suppose to take a mass out?

Alright so what you have to do is keep digging until the white-ish "kernel" pops out until it pops out keep digging then rubbing alchohal and vet wrap or gauze that won't stick to the sticky flesh/blood.

Hi...................That is exactly what I am doing. I am doing everything to avoid the bumble foot surgery. It is working and shrinking the bumble foot. I will tell you exactly what a vet told me to do. Buy ONLY DISTILLED WATER!!!!!! Mix 3/4 TEASPOON full of Tricide Neo with 1 QUART DISTILLED WATER. Soak chickens foot or feet in it for 10 minutes, 2 times a day. I do it morning and evening.

Make sure your chickens feet are clean before the antibiotic soak. I put the chickens feet in clean warm tap water and let them sit in it a few minutes BEFORE I use the Tricide neo soak. I pat the foot dry.

After the 10 minute Tricide Neo soak I pat the foot dry and place them on clean bedding. I do not wrap the feet. You must keep the bedding clean. I also have my chicken on electrolytes and fresh water both offered at the same time in seperate dishes. I feed my girl, Roberta, our huge splash orpington, her laying pellets and offer oyster shell on the side, always. Meal worms and a little bite of scratch as treats. I have her in a small coop seperate from my other girls so I can keep a close eye on her and know that she is not stepping and roosting in others poop.

Good luck and I hope your feathered friends feet get better. I still have 3 days to go. They have shrunk by half or more. The bumble foot started off the size of a pea. The scabs are gone and a small golden spot remains. I think it is the core of the bumble foot infection. Surgery is a last resort. If I have to do it I have all of the supplies and I know how to do it but I do not want to have to do it.

Keep me posted,

Kay

Hi...................That is exactly what I am doing. I am doing everything to avoid the bumble foot surgery. It is working and shrinking the bumble foot. I will tell you exactly what a vet told me to do. Buy ONLY DISTILLED WATER!!!!!! Mix 3/4 TEASPOON full of Tricide Neo with 1 QUART DISTILLED WATER. Soak chickens foot or feet in it for 10 minutes, 2 times a day. I do it morning and evening.

Make sure your chickens feet are clean before the antibiotic soak. I put the chickens feet in clean warm tap water and let them sit in it a few minutes BEFORE I use the Tricide neo soak. I pat the foot dry.

After the 10 minute Tricide Neo soak I pat the foot dry and place them on clean bedding. I do not wrap the feet. You must keep the bedding clean. I also have my chicken on electrolytes and fresh water both offered at the same time in seperate dishes. I feed my girl, Roberta, our huge splash orpington, her laying pellets and offer oyster shell on the side, always. Meal worms and a little bite of scratch as treats. I have her in a small coop seperate from my other girls so I can keep a close eye on her and know that she is not stepping and roosting in others poop.

Good luck and I hope your feathered friends feet get better. I still have 3 days to go. They have shrunk by half or more. The bumble foot started off the size of a pea. The scabs are gone and a small golden spot remains. I think it is the core of the bumble foot infection. Surgery is a last resort. If I have to do it I have all of the supplies and I know how to do it but I do not want to have to do it.

Keep me posted,

Kay
thanks so much for this!

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol on a raw open deep wound on a chicken or anything else. Try using Vetericyn or Bactine or sterile saline solution ( inexpensive). Most people fill the hole left from the surgery with antibiotic ointment without the pain killer. Then use a sterile gauze pad and vet wrap.

Back
Top Bottom