Bumblefoot- what happened?

I honestly don't use pain killers for bumblefoot, I've had a couple of bad ones. The discomfort will help limit activity and help rest it. I would pack the wound with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment daily and rewrap daily, making sure to keep it clean. Give it a week to see how it does before messing with it any more. Every foot is different, it's hard to predict. You didn't do anything wrong, I've had some bleed not at all, and some bleed a lot. Roo's have more meat on their feet than hens, so more possibility of bleeding and the infection can be a bit deeper, there is just more tissue. After a week I would reassess how it's healing and if swelling is starting to go down. Bumblefoot can sometimes take quite a while to resolve, so patience and consistency is important. Any questions or concerns in the meantime, update here and someone will take a look for you.

Well, the swelling has definitely gone down. It’s still sleeping some so I figure that’s out. We bandage it and he goes out free ranging with his ladies. That wasn’t the plan but he had his own plans and it’s working out just fine. I notice he’s not holding that leg up any more either. Thanks so much!! We’ll continue to rewrap it every day. I do have some drawing salve being delivered tomorrow and will add that. We didnt do any pain relievers. Just wasn’t comfortable with it.

Well, the swelling has definitely gone down. It’s still sleeping some so I figure that’s out. We bandage it and he goes out free ranging with his ladies. That wasn’t the plan but he had his own plans and it’s working out just fine. I notice he’s not holding that leg up any more either. Thanks so much!! We’ll continue to rewrap it every day. I do have some drawing salve being delivered tomorrow and will add that. We didnt do any pain relievers. Just wasn’t comfortable with it.

May not need the drawing salve now you have done a bang up care job I would tip my hat if I was wearing one good job :woot

What works for me, after you cut out the white goo, (yes it bleeds a lot) I put some pressure on the foot and quickly squirt on some neosporin-with out pain meds, put gauze on and wrap with thin strips of vet wrap. I have gauze and vet wrap all cut to size and ready because I place it on quickly. Then I check the foot daily and soak it or just put new neosporin, gauze and vet wrap on. The chicken looks like it’s wearing sandals. Don’t stretch the vet wrap too tight or the foot can lose circulation. They heal very nicely. Done this many times.

4DD35A08-5180-4CB8-9E6E-7BA9D4388039.jpeg
0D96145A-E791-4CD0-BB73-D89CD28EFEAF.jpeg
So it’s been 11 days and this is where we’re at. Should we be taking this scab off? It seems to have stalled a few days ago. We started applying the drawing salve 4-5 days ago and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Much much less swollen but there’s still hardness in there. We’re rewrapping every morning and applying the salve and triple antibiotic. Anything else we should be doing?

View attachment 1994687 View attachment 1994688 So it’s been 11 days and this is where we’re at. Should we be taking this scab off? It seems to have stalled a few days ago. We started applying the drawing salve 4-5 days ago and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Much much less swollen but there’s still hardness in there. We’re rewrapping every morning and applying the salve and triple antibiotic. Anything else we should be doing?

It does appear you did not get the core you will need to start over dump the drawing salve.. triple antibiotic cream but need to open it back up

The hardness very well may be pus, it will often feel like a harder bit than the rest of the foot tissue. I would soak again, and see if you can work out the core. I've had some that were very difficult to remove and after a repeat treatment was able to use some pressure and manipulation to get the pus to pop loose. Sometimes you have to use a fair amount of pressure, some will pop out, some will need help. I use a sterilized curette for that (picture below, you can get on amazon). If soaking doesn't soften it up well then you can apply some decolorized iodine (different than betadine-any drug store in the first aid section should have it) and wrap the foot overnight. That will usually soften it up pretty well. Once you get it out then the antibiotic cream to pack the hole, and wrap to keep it clean and dry.
31xKW2W+n0L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom