Bumblefoot?

Puff_and_Waddles

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
My duck is unable to walk, and I was wondering if she had bumblefoot? This is my first duck to have this, so I don’t really know what it looks like. Is this it, and is she supposed to have this ball on her foot too?

Attachments

• C5198972-631A-4AFB-ACFB-4BE3646025EB.jpeg
    C5198972-631A-4AFB-ACFB-4BE3646025EB.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1E2B5657-E50E-4F37-9AE5-6B396AB4F968.jpeg
    1E2B5657-E50E-4F37-9AE5-6B396AB4F968.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 18
That looks like bumblefoot to me and it's very swollen, so no wonder she can't walk. There is a wealth of information on various threads on BYC about bumblefoot. Is the vet an option? Either way you should start soaks in epsom salts to soften that scab. @isaac o - what do you think about the severity? Probably should give a med for the swelling and pain relief too.

Here, that would be a duck that would be getting some sort of surgery to excavate the puss, and necrotic tissue to allow proper healing. Given how large the swelling is around the area, having a vet perform such a thing may prove to be quicker, and overall more effective, they'd also likely give you an NSAID for her, for pain, but if you want to try it yourself you could.

I would first start off by soaking the foot in a water mixture of either Epsom salts, or an antiseptic mixture such as betadine, or chlorhexidine. Massage the area while she's in the bath. Do that however needed until you have the eschar/scab loosened up a good bit, then you should be able to peel the eschar off with not too much resistance. Keep soaking, and try to massage out as much as the puss in the swelling as you can.

When she is not in the bath, she should have an ointment applied to the area, gauze wrapped, around, and bandaged to prevent bacterial contamination of the wound and to provide cushioning to the surgical site. Some folks use what's called Tri-cide Neo for better antibacterial penetration into the sore. A DMSO gel diluted half-way down with water may be applied to the area to reduce swelling, and pain.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-feet-bandages.1424682/

Depending on how it looks after surgery, it may be good to use an antibiotic, such as cephalexin, to kill any bacteria you weren't able to reach.

https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-cephalexin/dp/185208

Bumblefoot or "Podermatisisis" can be brought on by several factors including malnutrition, uneven weight bearing due to other illnesses, but most especially, hard/unforgiving bedding that promotes erosion of the plantar surface, causing flaking, allowing bacteria to penetrate inside. That process mentioned is increased with a bird-like Pekin, due to their heavyweight. Ensuring birds feed is formulated to her specific needs and understanding environmental needs are crucial for treatment, and further prevention of the Bumblefoot.

@Isaac 0 Thank you so much! Yesterday I was able to remove the eschar by soaking her feet and peeling it off. I guess my biggest concern now is the big ball that remains on her foot. Will that eventually go away by itself if I spray what you said/ use ointments? Or does she need surgery at this point?

@Isaac 0 Thank you so much! Yesterday I was able to remove the eschar by soaking her feet and peeling it off. I guess my biggest concern now is the big ball that remains on her foot. Will that eventually go away by itself if I spray what you said/ use ointments? Or does she need surgery at this point?

Could you post a picture of what you have it at now?

Generally, speaking you're going to want to keep soaking until you have the swelling down a good bit. I would try to keep soaking, and massage/squeeze the area, and see if you can get anything out. Once you have the swelling down, pack it well with an ointment. It can be hard for the ointment to penetrate through all that tissue.

Back
Top Bottom