Bumblefoot.

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
My girl Scary has bumblefoot. Never treated it before so could use some guidance. It looks pretty bad. Giving her an Epsom (however you spell it) salt bath as we speak. (Or type)

C7BE71C3-94CC-4CEB-9AFE-6A8A3FEE9729.jpeg

I managed to snag a 2:00 vet appointment for the big girl. But I was just inspecting the other girls and found this girl has it on both her feet. It’s not as advanced. Does she need a vet appointment, or is it early enough not to require cutting it out? Also I will inspect the coop to see what they are hurting their feet on. Apologies for the dirty feet and grabbed her while she was in the middle s of her dirt bath.

D0DEDAD6-5A22-4A5B-B8E7-4D8759817276.jpeg

Just found out my girl Nugget has it just barely. I could hardly see it. When I squeezed it the tiniest bit of pus came out. Should I just spray it with that stuff or is there something more I need to do?

I also found this in my medicine cabinet. I will put it on their feet after I get them 100% clean. Is this okay? Do I need to wrap afterwards?

image.jpg

I took Scary (bird in first picture) to the vet. I’ll let them handle it. But I‘Ll take care of the less infected girls. Do they look like I’ll need to cut it out?

I dont think it's that bad. My 2 bigger girls get it. What I do is give them an epsom salt soak for about 20 minutes. I put them in the bath then close the curtain. After that I apply neosporin and then some gauze then wrap the foot. I do that 2x a day until I can pull the plug. The core came out on both girls. I'll then apply some neosporin for a few days afterwards while it heals.

None of those look like they need to be surgically removed at this point. I would do the soaks as suggested, remove any scab that is there, clean them out well, and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to them and wrap them. I would reapply the ointment daily and rewrap until you know they are healing well.

Back
Top Bottom