Bumblefoot

Heather_hodgin

In the Brooder
May 29, 2022
I have a three-year-old rodie hen that has or (had until a little bit ago) the black scab. My husband and I removed the scab, but nothing came out besides blood. I read that there is a plug that you have to remove, but nothing came out but blood. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions!

Not at this second. I will take some in the morning. My husband squeezed fairly hard.
I assume the bird's already been bandaged up for now, but if not, I'd get the area cleaned as well as possible, pack some neosporin in there, and bandage it up. Give it a day then re-soak in epsom salt bath and see how it looks then. It may need a bit more clean up (like if any dirt got in the wound), then put in more neosporin and re-bandage.

If you repeat this for several days you should start seeing an inflammation and scabbing shrinking down bit by bit. Once the new scab seems stable she should be fine (and the scab should continue slowly minimizing over time).

I assume the bird's already been bandaged up for now, but if not, I'd get the area cleaned as well as possible, pack some neosporin in there, and bandage it up. Give it a day then re-soak in epsom salt bath and see how it looks then. It may need a bit more clean up (like if any dirt got in the wound), then put in more neosporin and re-bandage.

If you repeat this for several days you should start seeing an inflammation and scabbing shrinking down bit by bit. Once the new scab seems stable she should be fine (and the scab should continue slowly minimizing over time).
Thank you so much!

If you don't see any improvement in a relatively short period of time (like I'm usually done with bandaging & soaking in maybe 5 days), or other related issues pop up (limping, swelling), definitely snap some photos in case someone can see something you can't. But hopefully you got enough out that the foot will heal up well.

Back
Top Bottom